Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Why?

  1. #1

    Nighthawk4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    824
    Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Why?
    So you download Lion from AppStore, which takes a while with a slow link.

    You remember to make a copy before the system deletes this large download.

    You make a bootable disk/USB for future use, in case you have to reinstall.

    The installation process creates a Recovery partition in case you have to reinstall.


    However, when you do try to reinstall, despite having a copy of Lion on Disk/USB/Recovery partition, the system downloads the whole thing from Apple again.

    Leaving out the profanity, this seems less than ideal

  2. #2

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Actually I think it's brilliant, it ensures you always get the latest version of the OS with all the required patches, etc.

    Not to mention, technically the approach of putting it on a USB/DVD is not an approved Apple solution so you can hardly blame them for how that works since it's hack.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  3. #3

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,757
    If you are re-installing from the Recovery partition, then yes, it will have to re-download it. It doesn't store the whole thing there. Can't speak for the bootable image option though, but as schweb points out, it's not a supported option.

    What I did was make a fully bootable installation of Snow Leopard on a 32 GB thumb drive; added my Lion installer to a read-only DMG file; then dropped that DMG on the thumb drive. If I ever decide to do a clean install, I just boot off that and re-run the installer just like before. No re-downloading needed. I also have this thumb drive loaded up with some utilities to use in the event of an emergency with my internal drive.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  4. #4

    Nighthawk4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    824
    Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    I take your point.

    However, do you suppose the official (and very expensive) Apple USB will work differently?

    For people with a slow connection, having to wait for 4GB to download yet again when you are trying to restore a failed system is not helpful - especially when you already have all that data downloaded.

    If it needs patching afterwards, that is less of a problem IMHO

  5. #5

    Nighthawk4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    824
    Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    If you are re-installing from the Recovery partition, then yes, it will have to re-download it. It doesn't store the whole thing there. Can't speak for the bootable image option though, but as schweb points out, it's not a supported option.

    What I did was make a fully bootable installation of Snow Leopard on a 32 GB thumb drive; added my Lion installer to a read-only DMG file; then dropped that DMG on the thumb drive. If I ever decide to do a clean install, I just boot off that and re-run the installer just like before. No re-downloading needed. I also have this thumb drive loaded up with some utilities to use in the event of an emergency with my internal drive.

    Funnily enough, I have made one of these as well, although mine is Lion rather than SL. Not had to use it yet

  6. #6

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,931
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I'm not sure it always downloads the entire package. When upgraded my wife's MacBook from the USB drive I had made the download time was only 4 minutes so it may have only been doing a version check.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  7. #7

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
    I take your point.

    However, do you suppose the official (and very expensive) Apple USB will work differently?
    Couldn't tell you until it's released.

    For people with a slow connection, having to wait for 4GB to download yet again when you are trying to restore a failed system is not helpful - especially when you already have all that data downloaded.
    Won't deny it's PITA, but let's be honest, most of Apple's target demographic and where the majority of their sales are are in areas where slow internet is generally not a problem. They build and market towards that segment.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  8. #8

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    49,395
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    However, when you do try to reinstall, despite having a copy of Lion on Disk/USB/Recovery partition, the system downloads the whole thing from Apple again.
    If you're going to create and use a bootable DVD to do repairs (good idea in case of HDD failure) you should also burn a copy of the installer to another DVD. That way re-downloading is not required.

  9. #9

    Nighthawk4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    824
    Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    If you're going to create and use a bootable DVD to do repairs (good idea in case of HDD failure) you should also burn a copy of the installer to another DVD. That way re-downloading is not required.

    I have them both on the same USB memory stick. The idea being I boot off the device into Lion and then run the Installer on the same device onto the target partition.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •