New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.7 - OS X Lion will not read external hard drives and USB flash drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tompam

tompam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The other day I bought the OS X Lion from the App Store and it installed successfully on my Macbook Pro. Today for the first time I connected my external hard drive to my laptop but it couldn't be detected. I also connected another of my external hard drives as well as my USB flash drives and none of them could be detected or read by my laptop after I installed Lion. Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is there a file called IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext in System/Library/Extensions/

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

I couldn't find it. Is it significant? Am I the only one with this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Until Louishen gets back to you on the KEXT file, you might try having Spotlight ignore the external drives. Been doing some looking and apparently some third party software in particular causes Spotlight Indexing to hang, causing Lion to unmount the drives.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

I'll try this. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Works perfectly with Cruzer SanDisk Slice.

Can't help with external drive as on a Mac Pro backup drive is installed in position two and works well.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Works great on my SanDisk Cruzer 4GB.
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

I tried as many brands of external hard drives and USB flash drives with the same results. None of them will mount with Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My question would be: What do you mean by it's not mounted?

It doesn't appear on the Desktop?

It doesn't appear on the Sidebar in Finder?

It doesn't appear in Disk Utility?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompam View Post
The other day I bought the OS X Lion from the App Store and it installed successfully on my Macbook Pro. Today for the first time I connected my external hard drive to my laptop but it couldn't be detected. I also connected another of my external hard drives as well as my USB flash drives and none of them could be detected or read by my laptop after I installed Lion. Can anyone help?
I'm having the exact same problem, did you fix yours?
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompam View Post
Ok, I left the hard drive plugged in for about 8 minutes and the computer finally recognized it. Before lion, it would see it instantly. Try leaving it plugged in for a little while
QUOTE Thanks
randalthor

randalthor is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
Ok, I left the hard drive plugged in for about 8 minutes and the computer finally recognized it. Before lion, it would see it instantly. Try leaving it plugged in for a little while
Spotlight was possibly indexing it. Shouldn't take that long to recognize the second time around. Try again now that it's been recognized once?
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
My question would be: What do you mean by it's not mounted?

It doesn't appear on the Desktop?

It doesn't appear on the Sidebar in Finder?

It doesn't appear in Disk Utility?
It doesn't appear on the Desktop, the Sidebar, or the Disk Utility. I'll try joeg679's suggestion of leaving the external hard drive connected to the laptop for 8 minutes or more until it appears. I hope it works.
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
I'll try this. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this a new Mac? I have never had a Flash drive that would not mount unless the drive was dead. Never. My Dell refused to mount my 2GB Kingston, 2 dells in fact but it mounted instantly on my Macs at the time.

Not sure what to say. How are these drives formatted? You say Lion is the cause. I have 6 external drives, plugged in USB2, FW400 and FW800 and all show right up on my iMac under Lion. I tried 8 Flash drives and every one shows right up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Preferences reset after restart | Chrome on Mac doesn't respond to "mailto" links »