New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Once again, the Lion download question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I just left the Apple Store and am sitting in a downstairs Internet cafe. My visit was to ask the following question...

"If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

The answers I got were as follows...

"Yes, you can."

"No. You have to download Lion to each machine individually."

"No. You have to buy Lion for each Mac."

"Yes, you can put Lion on 5 Macs that you own, but I don't think you can use a single image."

"Can you bring the machines in?" (Haul a 27" iMac 150 miles by car one way and then carry it 1000 feet into the bottom of a mall, also one way. Then go back and get the others.)

"Why don't you just download Lion?" (Probably because it would take fourteen months on the speeds available to my area.)

"Why don't you have broadband installed? Everybody does." (!@#$%^&*)

I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software. Or at least they haven't shared that information with their stores.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You are in the wrong forum..

..and you can download Lion once, burn it to a DVD or put it on a Flash drive and use it up to 5 machines..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Direct quote from Lion's End User License Agreement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (Apple - Legal - iTunes) ("Usage Rules"), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server ("Mac Computer") that you own or control;
There is no limit to how many machines you can equip with Lion. That said, downloading for each one is a bit of a hassle, so you're better off creating a bootable USB drive and using it for repeat installs.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
I just left the Apple Store and am sitting in a downstairs Internet cafe. My visit was to ask the following question...

"If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

The answers I got were as follows...

"Yes, you can."

"No. You have to download Lion to each machine individually."

"No. You have to buy Lion for each Mac."

"Yes, you can put Lion on 5 Macs that you own, but I don't think you can use a single image."

"Can you bring the machines in?" (Haul a 27" iMac 150 miles by car one way and then carry it 1000 feet into the bottom of a mall, also one way. Then go back and get the others.)

"Why don't you just download Lion?" (Probably because it would take fourteen months on the speeds available to my area.)

"Why don't you have broadband installed? Everybody does." (!@#$%^&*)

I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software. Or at least they haven't shared that information with their stores.
I think all of these questions have been answered before, but since you got such conflicting answers from the Apple Store employees here goes:

1. Yes - Provided all of the Snow Leopard Macs are capable (minimum Hardware requirement) of running Lion
2. Yes - Provided you don't actually install Lion. If you download and stop you can follow the handy directions (search on the Forums for the directions) on creating a bootable DvD or USB Drive
3. Yes - Up to 5 Macs at no additional cost
4. Yes - Installing from the bootable drive is easy and works well. I did this on my wife's MacBook. Not because I don't have highspeed internet, but to test the drive and to save 20 minutes download time. No problems and she is running Lion from that install.

HTH
Razormac

EDIT: I obviously took too long on this post

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Let's just put this thread into a more appropriate forum.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
franmc12

franmc12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You are in the wrong forum..

..and you can download Lion once, burn it to a DVD or put it on a Flash drive and use it up to 5 machines..
Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by franmc12 View Post
Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

Thanks
Since you have already installed Lion you won't find the installer on your Mac (it is automatically deleted following installation).
Apparently, you can redownload though and then you can follow the instructions in the Link contained in Discerptor's post.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by franmc12 View Post

Thanks
Has been answered many times in the forum, but just for you

How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
......you can follow the instructions in the Link contained in Discerptor's post.
And that ^^^^^^
As for the Wi-Fi issues, it be best if you started another thread for that question. . . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am just shocked at all the wrong that Apple Store Employes told the OP. You would think they would know this. Just be sure that all the Macs are registered with Apple and have a App Store account.

The others answered the rest of your questions.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Has been answered many times in the forum, but just for you

How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

And that ^^^^^^
As for the Wi-Fi issues, it be best if you started another thread for that question. . . .

Cheers
Like the new Avatar . . . when are we going to see a return of the Signature you were working on? I particularly liked the metalwork spelling Tattooed.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Like the new Avatar . . . when are we going to see a return of the Signature you were working on? I particularly liked the metalwork spelling Tattooed.
Thanks mate. Im at home on my back today so i should get up the motivation and do a little work on it

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Thanks mate. Im at home on my back today so i should get up the motivation and do a little work on it
Hope get to feeling better.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Direct quote from Lion's End User License Agreement: [see above]

There is no limit to how many machines you can equip with Lion.
Yeah, but that 5 machine limit urban legend is not going to die, ever. I'm told the misconception comes from iTunes policy.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Yeah, but that 5 machine limit urban legend is not going to die, ever. I'm told the misconception comes from iTunes policy.
I promise not to repeat it ever again.

Don't know where I heard the 5 machine limit. Interesting to know that it is unlimited.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software.
50%? Given actually FCC statistics, that's a bit overblown.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning OS file in windows | Newbie question- alias to Hard Disk Drive? »