Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    cptkrf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2009
    Location
    The same as Sheldon Cooper - East Texas
    Posts
    453
    Specs:
    iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
    Once again, the Lion download question.
    I just left the Apple Store and am sitting in a downstairs Internet cafe. My visit was to ask the following question...

    "If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

    The answers I got were as follows...

    "Yes, you can."

    "No. You have to download Lion to each machine individually."

    "No. You have to buy Lion for each Mac."

    "Yes, you can put Lion on 5 Macs that you own, but I don't think you can use a single image."

    "Can you bring the machines in?" (Haul a 27" iMac 150 miles by car one way and then carry it 1000 feet into the bottom of a mall, also one way. Then go back and get the others.)

    "Why don't you just download Lion?" (Probably because it would take fourteen months on the speeds available to my area.)

    "Why don't you have broadband installed? Everybody does." (!@#$%^&*)

    I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software. Or at least they haven't shared that information with their stores.

  2. #2

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,334
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    You are in the wrong forum..

    ..and you can download Lion once, burn it to a DVD or put it on a Flash drive and use it up to 5 machines..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  3. #3

    Discerptor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2005
    Posts
    1,229
    Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Direct quote from Lion's End User License Agreement:

    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (Apple - Legal - iTunes) ("Usage Rules"), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

    (i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server ("Mac Computer") that you own or control;
    There is no limit to how many machines you can equip with Lion. That said, downloading for each one is a bit of a hassle, so you're better off creating a bootable USB drive and using it for repeat installs.

  4. #4

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,847
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
    I just left the Apple Store and am sitting in a downstairs Internet cafe. My visit was to ask the following question...

    "If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

    The answers I got were as follows...

    "Yes, you can."

    "No. You have to download Lion to each machine individually."

    "No. You have to buy Lion for each Mac."

    "Yes, you can put Lion on 5 Macs that you own, but I don't think you can use a single image."

    "Can you bring the machines in?" (Haul a 27" iMac 150 miles by car one way and then carry it 1000 feet into the bottom of a mall, also one way. Then go back and get the others.)

    "Why don't you just download Lion?" (Probably because it would take fourteen months on the speeds available to my area.)

    "Why don't you have broadband installed? Everybody does." (!@#$%^&*)

    I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software. Or at least they haven't shared that information with their stores.
    I think all of these questions have been answered before, but since you got such conflicting answers from the Apple Store employees here goes:

    "If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

    1. Yes - Provided all of the Snow Leopard Macs are capable (minimum Hardware requirement) of running Lion
    2. Yes - Provided you don't actually install Lion. If you download and stop you can follow the handy directions (search on the Forums for the directions) on creating a bootable DvD or USB Drive
    3. Yes - Up to 5 Macs at no additional cost
    4. Yes - Installing from the bootable drive is easy and works well. I did this on my wife's MacBook. Not because I don't have highspeed internet, but to test the drive and to save 20 minutes download time. No problems and she is running Lion from that install.

    HTH
    Razormac

    EDIT: I obviously took too long on this post
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  5. #5

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,732
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Let's just put this thread into a more appropriate forum.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Posts
    1
    lion hlp
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You are in the wrong forum..

    ..and you can download Lion once, burn it to a DVD or put it on a Flash drive and use it up to 5 machines..
    Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

    Thanks

  7. #7

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,847
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by franmc12 View Post
    Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

    Thanks
    Since you have already installed Lion you won't find the installer on your Mac (it is automatically deleted following installation).
    Apparently, you can redownload though and then you can follow the instructions in the Link contained in Discerptor's post.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  8. #8

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,380
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by franmc12 View Post
    Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

    Thanks
    Has been answered many times in the forum, but just for you

    How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    ......you can follow the instructions in the Link contained in Discerptor's post.
    And that ^^^^^^
    As for the Wi-Fi issues, it be best if you started another thread for that question. . . .

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  9. #9

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,760
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    I am just shocked at all the wrong that Apple Store Employes told the OP. You would think they would know this. Just be sure that all the Macs are registered with Apple and have a App Store account.

    The others answered the rest of your questions.

  10. #10

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,847
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Has been answered many times in the forum, but just for you

    How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive



    And that ^^^^^^
    As for the Wi-Fi issues, it be best if you started another thread for that question. . . .

    Cheers
    Like the new Avatar . . . when are we going to see a return of the Signature you were working on? I particularly liked the metalwork spelling Tattooed.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  11. #11

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,380
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    Like the new Avatar . . . when are we going to see a return of the Signature you were working on? I particularly liked the metalwork spelling Tattooed.
    Thanks mate. Im at home on my back today so i should get up the motivation and do a little work on it
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  12. #12

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,847
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Thanks mate. Im at home on my back today so i should get up the motivation and do a little work on it
    Hope get to feeling better.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  13. #13

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,977
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
    Direct quote from Lion's End User License Agreement: [see above]

    There is no limit to how many machines you can equip with Lion.
    Yeah, but that 5 machine limit urban legend is not going to die, ever. I'm told the misconception comes from iTunes policy.

  14. #14

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,847
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Yeah, but that 5 machine limit urban legend is not going to die, ever. I'm told the misconception comes from iTunes policy.
    I promise not to repeat it ever again.

    Don't know where I heard the 5 machine limit. Interesting to know that it is unlimited.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  15. #15

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
    I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software.
    50%? Given actually FCC statistics, that's a bit overblown.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How Do I Download Lion Now
    By euan202 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM
  2. Lion Download
    By seajay2uk in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 04:39 PM
  3. About to download Lion and have a
    By CrimsonTide in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:31 PM
  4. Onyx download for Lion OS
    By vank66 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM
  5. Lion - How Long to Download
    By cheetaux in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •