New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

[Please Help] Lion OSX Wifi Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KoolDAbc

KoolDAbc is on a distinguished road

This is my first post on the forum, so hi...I'm Michael This isn't a joke post, I'm just new to the forum! Please help me!

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

After upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion, I have encountered problems connecting to the internet wirelessly. My only guess is it is an issue with my DNS servers, but I don't know enough about DNS to know for sure.

Last night I had the same issue, and after reading on this forum, I set my DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 -- and everything worked perfectly. I was downloading at 2MB/s no problem. I thought that everything was fixed.

Today, I moved my iMac downstairs so I could start attempting to turn the family PC (I'm very excited to do so ) and my iMac wouldn't connect to my router. I tried resetting my router and my modem, and then I plugged an Ethernet cord into my computer -- and voila, everything worked perfectly again. When the Ethernet cord was connected, the DNS was set to the router's default IP address: 192.168.1.1

As I was trying to debug my problem, my computer stopped connecting to my router completely, it just says, "Connection timeout." Sometimes it will connect to the router now, and sometimes it won't. It's a very random thing.

When I am connected to the router, Safari and Chrome can't load a page, it just keeps trying and trying. Chrome will eventually timeout, but Safari won't. I'm not sure if anyone knows what my problem is, or what I need to do, but I'm willing to try anything at this point, as long as it doesn't damage my system.

A few people may ask why I can't run an Ethernet cord to my iMac, but that's nearly impossible. I'd have to drill a hole in the wall through my laundry room to run the wire upstairs. I may do that if I can't figure out how to make my wireless work, but hopefully that won't be the case!

I apologize for the extremely long and paragraphed post in advance, I just wanted to make sure I provided all the information I could so we don't waste time having you guys ask for tidbits of information. Here's some other random information:

Router: Netgear Wirless-N150 WNR1000
Modem: Ubee Docksys 3
Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Internet provider: Comcast

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to hear from someone!
QUOTE Thanks
Diamondback

Diamondback is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 15" MBP 2.53GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm, Hi-Res AG Screen; OSX 10.7.1

Have you tried all the fixes listed in this link?

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
KoolDAbc

KoolDAbc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Have you tried all the fixes listed in this link?

Mark
Yeah, I have. Some of them numerous times with no luck.
QUOTE Thanks
mick132

mick132 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17"

I am having a network problem since upgrading to Lion. I have a 17" Macbookpro and it is connected wirelessly to an Airport Extreme Base Station. If I finish work and close the lid without closing down, when I return and open the lid the web browsers will not work - both Safari and Firefox - they both come up with errors that they can not connect to the internet, and I have to reboot the computer to fix the problem. At the same time Skype is still working, and my old Windows laptop can still surf the net.

There was no problem before upgrading, and it is starting to get annoying!
QUOTE Thanks
rhlangdon

rhlangdon is on a distinguished road

This appears to be a worldwide problem with Lion. The operating system has issues with peripherals such as Time Machine, Airport Express and Airport Extreme. Many, and I am one if them as is my son who lives 10,000 miles away from me, find that the computer seems to keep switching itself off and on but more often than not does not recognise Time Machine nor Airport Extreme (which I use for my wireless network). Rebooting, reconfiguring, resetting do not work the problem comes back.

The cure, and perhaps it indicates the source of the problem within the OS, seems to be peripheral drives plugged into the USB. Unplug them all so only the wireless router is connected and seems to work OK. But then that gives me a problem as a lot of my data is in an external drive and I cannot backup to one either. I have installed Lion on my iMac and MacBook. Both generate the problem.

You may also find that it keeps telling you your computer is already logged so it allocates a new name!

A major bug in Lion I'm afraid. One hopes the Apple people are reading this!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

This is the only place I have heard of this issue. I certainly didn't experience it on mine, and I have yet to hear from any of my local clients that they've had this problem.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's clearly NOT a "worldwide problem" or "major bug." I'm sure it's happened to some people (maybe quite a lot of people) but as it doesn't appear to be consistent to everyone, there may be some other factor that's actually the cause rather than Lion itself.
QUOTE Thanks
rhlangdon

Yes it is worldwide. Look at where the postings are coming from. A lot has been said on the same issue in other forums on the internet with many having the same problems.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nothing here on my machine. I hope this is not a Trolling post. We frown on that here.

With EVERY OSX version that has been released we seem to get a few people complaining about WiFi issues.
QUOTE Thanks
rvelthuis

rvelthuis is on a distinguished road

That is not a troll message. All our computers (macBook, MacBook pro, iMac) here have the same problem. It happens irregularly, but in average every half hour. The only solution is to swtich off wifi and then switch it on again. That is usually enough.

I have checked quite a few forums, and it seems to be a worldwide problem indeed. Never had the problem under Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlangdon View Post
Yes it is worldwide. Look at where the postings are coming from. A lot has been said on the same issue in other forums on the internet with many having the same problems.
Please provide links to these other forums and to an Apple discussion forums report on this problem. One instance does not equal a problem and there may be a common thread in these cases that will yield a clue or work around.

From my own experience I have had no issues with either of My Lion equipped Macs on my Airport network at home (5Ghz) nor my multiple USB peripherals).

QUOTE Thanks
rhlangdon

A little more to report. I have run my iMac without any external USB drive plugged in and all worked ok. After a few hours I plugged in one and all was OK, I plugged in the second, all seemed OK. But when I plugged in Time Machine it dropped out the wireless network and the Ethernet one; started to rename my iMac saying it was already logged in under an existing name and needed a new one; other devices in the house could not connect to the wireless network. It would not configure the Time Machine or if it did it did not work. When I unplugged the Time Machine all worked OK and still seems to after several hours.

In other forums it seems people have had problems with Time Machine. I am no expert in all this but logically its pointing to some incompatibility with Time machine. I am aware others have done something similar, been OK for awhile then the fault came back. Not with me so far but I cannot of course use Time Machine nor it's Ethernet ports which I was using.

Don't know if this helps those with more expertise to consider what is wrong although I suspect Apple will by now have worked it out.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You might consider turning Time machine off, reformatting the time machine drive, then turning time machine on and then letting it do a full backup again. Just a thought.

QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

Actually for me my internet connection via a router has had less drops after installing Lion.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
mick132

mick132 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17"

This is a genuine problem I experienced. I have managed to fix it once by running network diagnostics in Safari, though this morning everything worked as it should. The problem was web browser related, Skype and POP e-mail still worked. If it keeps happening I will ring Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
jason0824

jason0824 is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook, and was experiencing the EXACT annoying problem. I called the apple support phone number and they gave me a solution to the problem and it finally works again!

1. Go to system preferences and open or click Network

2. On the Wifi tab, click on Advanced button near the lower right corner

3. On the Wi-Fi tab go to the Preferred Networks box where it lists the networks your computer knows to connect to

4. Now delete all of the networks that you do not recognize, especially ones that may be in your apartment building or that your computer may be in range of. Make sure that your network is at the top of the list. You can drag them. The tech person said it was ok to have a couple other ones, but to make sure that mine was at the top of the list.

5. CLick OK then apply. now try it out and see if it worked

At first Safari gave me the same error message but about 3-5 seconds later it automatically loaded up my homepage. Then after 2 more times of shutting or putting my computer to sleep to test it, it started loading my homepage like normal again. I really hope this works for you because I know how enraging the problem is !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac makes weird clicking sounds | Boot-Up and Generally Sluggish MacBook Pro »