New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can't boot from another startup disk since OSX Lion install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ncascone

Ncascone is on a distinguished road

I hold c, or option when it starts up, or try to startup from another disk through system preferences.

I am no longer given the option to startup from any other disk other than my main internal hard drive, and the recovery drive.

I have a clone drive and a diskwarrior drive I would like to access. Does anyone know why this might be?

thanks in advance!!

Mac OSX Lion 10.7 | 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM |
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The installation of Lion should not have changed being able to boot from an external hard drive. Are you able to boot from a DVD? Also, what kind of Mac are you trying to boot, year and model?
QUOTE Thanks
Ncascone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The installation of Lion should not have changed being able to boot from an external hard drive. Are you able to boot from a DVD? Also, what kind of Mac are you trying to boot, year and model?
Yes, I can boot from the OSX Leopard DVD. When I go to System Preferences>Startup Disk, there is the option to startup from the disk which I am trying to use, although it continues only to start up from my main internal HD reguardless.

However, during startup when I hold down the Option key, the disks that come up are only the main internal and the recovery drive. The other ones I have connected, which appear in system preferences, do not even show up.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
However, during startup when I hold down the Option key, the disks that come up are only the main internal and the recovery drive. The other ones I have connected, which appear in system preferences, do not even show up.
Are you sure the external hard drives are in fact bootable? The clone external hard drive is a clone of which operating system? Not sure about the Disk Warrior boot disk - it may no longer work correctly since you upgraded to Lion. I know that my Data Rescue 3 boot disk likewise no longer works for the same reason.
QUOTE Thanks
Ncascone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Are you sure the external hard drives are in fact bootable? The clone external hard drive is a clone of which operating system? Not sure about the Disk Warrior boot disk - it may no longer work correctly since you upgraded to Lion. I know that my Data Rescue 3 boot disk likewise no longer works for the same reason.
yes, it worked before I installed OSX Lion. I am posting this because for some reason, when i restarted my computer just a second ago, it booted from the cloned drive because of how I had previously selected the startup disk in system preferences to be the clone drive.

I don't know why it's working now and wasn't working before. I will post again if the problem comes back up.

thank you for your help anyway!!

QUOTE Thanks
hdjclark

hdjclark is on a distinguished road

The exact same thing has happened to me, but it hasn't resolved itself. Help!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think I had this happen on my Mac Pro which has one drive with Lion and one drive with Snow Leopard. That drive was a clone of my MacBook Pro. The first time I went to the startup preference pane and tried to boot SL it did not work. Went back and re-selected SL and it worked.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I use SuperDuper! and have a number of bootable copies of both Lion and SL on external USB drives. All of these show up in the list when I boot with the Option key pressed, plus the Recovery partition and the DVD if it is in the drive. This has not changed since I installed Lion. Also applies both on my iMac and the MacMini.
QUOTE Thanks
dennison

dennison is on a distinguished road

I am having exactly the same problem, and I've put days into making sure it's really happening.

Yes it is.

Since installing lion, the "hold C at startup to boot from CD" no longer works on my macbook pro mid 2009. I can not boot from my original install disks, I can not boot from the Leopard DVD, I can not boot from a bootable USB of Leopard, or a bootable USB copy for my Original Install disks. I can't even install Leopard from clicking in OSX Lion on the DVD drive, and then going through the installation instructions for Leopard. After it says it will restart the computer, it hangs and never installs.

Then when pressing the Option key at startup (which brings you into the choose the boot drive- where you can see the lion recovery partition), the DVD drive is not visible. HOWEVER, if I start up the machine with the lion disk on an external disk and hold the Option key at startup, then I see the external disk- and after a moment I see the DVD drive with the leopard install DVD. However if I click on it to instal, the system freezes.

I think that Lion does indeed change your computers basic firmware in someway that prevents you from booting from CD.

So anyone have any ideas about that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I think that Lion does indeed change your computers basic firmware in someway that prevents you from booting from CD.
Lion can not change the firmware. Apple does not include firmware updates along with an operating system update. Besides, each machine model has different firmware.

Try resetting your NVRAM and then see if you can boot from the optical drive. I have no problem booting from DVD on both of my Macs regardless of whether it's Snow Leopard or Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

And using Lion has had no effect on DiskWarrior, booting from the DVD holding down 'C' or selecting from within Startup Disk.

Both ways of booting are just fine. Wonder is this is a problem within the optical drive? Also if you use an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, do not use the TRIM patch to activate TRIM as this can cause this very problem.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
DCL

DCL is on a distinguished road

Similar problem:

after holding opt on startup, I have to option to boot from my SL drive, but it stops on the blue apple screen and doesn't load any farther. It has only started since installing Lion though... any Ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
July1962

July1962 is on a distinguished road

Same problem here.

My Mac really started bogging down after installing Lion. Mail rarely works. Tried starting up from my snow leopard DVD, but it would only get to the starry screen and then stop. Tried starting up from a thumb drive with Lion on it, and it will get to the gray screen and stop.

Im now in the process of trying a clean install...
QUOTE Thanks
thebride

thebride is on a distinguished road

Same problem for me too. The Macbook won't on any of my SL install disks, which are working on other Macbooks, but only on the Lion install disk.

It does nothing to erase the hd where Lion is installed...

I really don't know what I can do now...
QUOTE Thanks
Noblin

Noblin is on a distinguished road

I've been reading around and it really seems as though the Late 09 iMacs can have this issue as well. My issue is that the iMac won't even acknowledge there's a disk in the superdrive. I was at the Genius Bar recently for another repair and asked about it. My computer would not read my 10.6.2 Leopard disk. The Genius took the disk to other machines around the store and they read it fine. He then put in a blank disk in my machine, it read it fine. He then put in a 10.6.4 leopard disk, my machine read it. So here I am with every imaginable issue with Lion, bad wifi disconnects, slow internet when connected, sound issues with Logic / Garageband. And I cannot restore anything to Leopard. So I'm going to do it my way. I'm going to get a 10.6.8 ISO and burn it to a DVD and install from that. Lion has been the worst experience I've ever had with an OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac slow down especially start up | Searching a Windows Local Network from Mac with OS 10.7.2 »