New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Huge page outs memory problem!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_mac

mac_mac is on a distinguished road

I have an imac running sl with 4gb of ram. Suddenly, the system started running really slow - no update or anything, just after powering on this morning.

In activity monitor, the free ram dissapears after a few seconds to 5 - 8 mb and the remainder is mostly taken up with an active state. This is without me starting any programmes up.

Also, straight away the page in and outs start rising - its been about 5 minutes now and theyre both on about 5gb already. I repeat, im not starting up any programmes!

Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
mac_mac

Oh yeah, VM is on 121gb also. Seems a little large!?
QUOTE Thanks
mac_mac

Also, sitting here watching the activity monitor, it seems every few minutes the majority of the pie chart goes green but then fills up again with yellow.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What does Activity Monitor show is using all the RAM when it fills up?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_mac

Heres a screen so you can see whats running.

QUOTE Thanks
mac_mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
What does Activity Monitor show is using all the RAM when it fills up?
Nothing as such?!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What Native instruments app are you running?

There are also issues with Apogee's Duet and Lion.

Open up Applications / Utilities / Console and see what the logs are indicating.

(That's about the cleanest looking Activity Monitor I've ever seen. I have about 3 pages of stuff all the time. And that VM number is always extremely large. Mine is sitting at 190+GB currently)

QUOTE Thanks
mac_mac

There seems to be a lot of this;

23/07/2011 13:56:52 com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10041cab0.mach_init.mdworker[286]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error

23/07/2011 13:56:52 com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[285] 2011-07-23 13:56:52.687 ReportCrash[285:1407] Saved crash report for mdworker[286] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/mdworker_2011-07-23-135652_localhost.crash

23/07/2011 13:56:58 com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10041cab0.mach_init.mdworker[288]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error

23/07/2011 13:56:58 com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[285] 2011-07-23 13:56:58.328 ReportCrash[285:2907] Saved crash report for mdworker[288] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/mdworker_2011-07-23-135658_localhost.crash

23/07/2011 13:57:03 com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10041cab0.mach_init.mdworker[289]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error

23/07/2011 13:57:03 com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[285] 2011-07-23 13:57:03.660 ReportCrash[285:380b] Saved crash report for mdworker[289] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/mdworker_2011-07-23-135703_localhost.crash
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Well, those are all spotlight... with a bus error.

Perhaps some external drive or device that it's trying to index and is not connected to your machine currently.

I had to go into mine and re-add all the locations and drives I didn't want it indexing. The Lion upgrade had removed all of my previous Spotlight preferences. It was even indexing my TM backup - for what I ask?

And I welcome any other thoughts out there.

QUOTE Thanks
mac_mac

You absolutely right, thanks!

mdworker was trying to index an external drive. I dont know why afetr a year this has started causing problems but ive moved it into the spotlight privacy pane now and all is well.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Glad that was it, because I wouldn't have been much more help.

QUOTE Thanks
currentmusik

currentmusik is on a distinguished road

Hi guys.
I have just jumped into the same problem (again), and it happened (again) after I updated my Audio Kontrol 1 from Native Instruments. (It seems to happen everytime I update something from NI, and because I need to work, I used Time Maschine and went back to a date when it was working). I imagined that updating the Audio Kontrol would not afftect it but it did.

I also ran a TM backup last night, and now when I connect it, it starts to do a backup of the whole drive...?

MAybe I should leave the mdworker and let it finish? I have put a drive that it intended to index into the privacy and error messages stopped, but mdworker still works full speed.

Any ideas?.

Thanks.
Robert.
QUOTE Thanks
currentmusik

A temorary solution that seems to work is putting the internal HD i Privacy of SPotlight, kind of puts the whole Spotlight thing to waste. Many people seems to htink that it is a Lion problem, I am still on SNow, to me it seems to be a problem with program that is Lion compatible. Thats why I ran into the same thing several times when trying to upgrade to last version of Reaktor, Massive etc. from Native I.

R.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentmusik View Post

Any ideas?.
Please read the "Beachballs" link in my signature...it may help.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
currentmusik

Hi Nick.
I do restart my computer at least once a day, I also see that mdworker is crashing a lot. I also postively sure that I have enough ram (A new i7 Pro with 4 gigs), and its starts after updating my Native Instrument applications....weird. I have tried it like 3-4 times now, since I obviously want to have the latest updates, but everytime I have gone back to and earlier date (with TM) and it solve the problem.

Hoping for a sloution of course, but...I need my daw up and running.

R.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Peculiar booting issue... driving me insane! | Can time machine be used in server environment? »