New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Downloaded Lion, can i download it again for free ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timmy_toad

timmy_toad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" + iPhone 5S

I have downloaded and installed Lion perfectly ok, and it works perfectly, judging by some of the trouble others have had, i am very lucky LOL.

I did really want to put it on a DVD before i installed it, but the one opportunity i found that i had to pause the Install, I MISSED IT.

So would i be able to Download it again FOR FREE and then make sure i get the image onto a DVD before i do anything else ?.

tim
QUOTE Thanks
MadGamer

MadGamer is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I found this isn't the case as you will just get an error when trying to re download the file, once Lion is installed it then deletes the installer, but creates a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive, containing OS X utilities and the option to re install Lion, should you need to. This is accessible, by pressing both CMD and R together, when you first turn your machine on.
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

fair enough pal, thanks. with hindsight i realise now that i was given a menu (with 4 options), that gave me the option to goto the disk utility, of course in the same menu was the option to start installation !!!. what a plonker i was, forewarned is forearmed they say, perhaps other folk will read this and/or learn for themselves how to do it properly, i didn't !
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

If you have just the one Mac of any sort, then you are stuck as you acknowledge and MadGamer says.

If now or whenever, you have another Mac, in the App Store click on "Purchases" and you will get as many free installers as you have Macs.

Perhaps not much use to you now, sorry, but for the future, maybe?

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
If you have just the one Mac of any sort, then you are stuck as you acknowledge and MadGamer says.

If now or whenever, you have another Mac, in the App Store click on "Purchases" and you will get as many free installers as you have Macs.

Perhaps not much use to you now, sorry, but for the future, maybe?

Ian
Thanks buddy, quite right, say it like it is, i am a perlonker......

ps. i will only have/need one Mac, my better half has an iPad2, i agree it WAS far more natural (for me, anyway) scrolling with Snow Leopard on the trackpad, I can handle the Touchscreen of iPad scrolling differently.

tim
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I found this on another board. Try this to redownload Lion.

"I finally figured it out. You need to quit the App Store, reopen it, and without doing anything else, hold the option key and click Purchases. Lion should then be downloadable again for free."

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Actually up to 5, just like any other software from the MAS.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Actually up to 5, just like any other software from the MAS.
Cheers buddy yet another couple of options, thanks a million, all of you.

tim,
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Along with my MBP, I have a iMac Intel, so if I log my wife out of the account, log me in, then go to the App store, I can download Lion for the iMac, or do I have to once again purchase it?

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
Along with my MBP, I have a iMac Intel, so if I log my wife out of the account, log me in, then go to the App store, I can download Lion for the iMac, or do I have to once again purchase it?
You just need to use your Apple ID when you log into the MAS on her computer and you'll see under purchased, that you can download it again.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Few Lion Problems, nothing to do with installing | Command line for spaces? »