New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problem with Lion's fullscreen feature and dual displays

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JayDam

JayDam is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook Pro that I use along with another monitor for dual displays while working. On my monitor (or on my laptop display) I would love to be able to put an application on the new fullscreen while also having another application on fullscreen on the other display, or even using the other display for any other apps.

Upon trying to enter fullscreen mode, it blanks out my monitor and makes the app fullscreen on my laptop display. This does me no good.

Is there a way to use the fullscreen feature on one display, and still have another display working?

Seems like this would be something simple that Apple would have thought of. Thanks for any help you can toss my way!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I have the exact same problem and I can't seem to find anything in Preferences to fix this. I hope someone has some advice.
QUOTE Thanks
JayDam

Glad to know I'm not the only one. It seems too simple, I went through everything I could think of looking for a setting.

Come on Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
JayDam

Bump for some morning help...

Still can't figure out how to fix this.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDam View Post
Bump for some morning help...

Still can't figure out how to fix this.
My advice would be to fire up your backup drive and revert to 10.6. If you're not tolerant of bugs and rough edges, you probably don't want to be running the initial release of a new OS.

I'm not trying to be smart, and I know that's not the answer you're looking for - but just trying to be realistic. Issues that effect non-standard configurations are probably going to take a bit to shake out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
JayDam

It's all good, didn't take your answer as smart at all. And, I didn't mean to annoy by bumping the thread. Figured i'd try it once this morning and then drop it, since morning crowds on forums tend to be a completely different crowd from the evening crowd, and I might run into somebody new who knows something about the issue.

I'm hoping enough people out there probably use dual displays that somebody might have found a setting somewhere to make this work.

If I revert back, then I don't have the fullscreen option anyway, so I may as well stay with Lion, and just not use the fullscreen feature until something gets figured out.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It's not a bug, it's how full screen apps are currently designed.

If you want the option to utilize multiple monitors with fullscreen apps, you should submit a feature request to Apple:

Apple - Feedback

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Ran into this comment on a TechCrunch article. Not sure if this helps:

Quote:
Mark Langston
Dual monitor users, listen up!

Here's a tip to always ensure that an app (like Mail or iTunes) stays on the 2nd monitor no matter which Desktop you're using.

Right-click on the icon in the Dock, select Options > Assign To, choose "This Desktop". This (sort of) replaces the ability to assign apps to a specific Space in Snow Leopard. I actually prefer it over the old method.

Signed,

Proud Member of the Pride.
Mark: If you're reading this, I hope you don't mind me sharing the tip.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I think this works if you just want to keep an application on an external monitor, but won't work when you make the app full screen. As soon as you hit Command-F, it switches back from the external display to the main one and goes full screen there. All you see on the external display is the drab, ugly gray linen. Going out of full screen brings the application back to the external display.
QUOTE Thanks
randalthor

randalthor is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDam View Post
I have a Macbook Pro that I use along with another monitor for dual displays while working. On my monitor (or on my laptop display) I would love to be able to put an application on the new fullscreen while also having another application on fullscreen on the other display, or even using the other display for any other apps.

Upon trying to enter fullscreen mode, it blanks out my monitor and makes the app fullscreen on my laptop display. This does me no good.

Is there a way to use the fullscreen feature on one display, and still have another display working?

Seems like this would be something simple that Apple would have thought of. Thanks for any help you can toss my way!
Yes, I have noted this as well. It only seems to want to let me full screen on my main display.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Until Apple releases an update resolving this, you guys could just drag the corners of the app to fill the screen of your 2nd monitor.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
drshah

drshah is on a distinguished road

I don't consider this "non standard" as many many users have dual monitors, like I do.

In any case, this is a bug and we should all let apple know via their feedback forum

here is the link:

Apple - Feedback

i am sure once they get enough feedback on this it will be fixed

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extracting iPhoto Images on Sparce bundle disk image | Fresh Installation of Lion »