New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

error message -600

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jadewhit

jadewhit is on a distinguished road

Hi all! I'm new - and having some real trouble with my macbook lately.

I notice that if I leave my computer idle long enough for it to go into sleep mode, the screen goes blank w/ backlight ON, but will not come back to life when I run my fingers across the touchpad or hit any keys. So I have to turn it off, turn it back on, and re-load my browser to get back where I was. Very annoying. I took it genius bar and they said nothing was wrong and that I just need to change my settings in sys pref.

So I go to do that today and system preferences won't open. It shows up as open on the dock, but no windows pop up anywhere and when I force quit it (ctrl + opt + esc), it gives me an error message of -600. Its doing the same thing for iTunes, same message and everything.

Can anyone help me out here? This computer is about 3-4 years old and in really good shape. I'd hate to lose it over some stupid error message (when I throw it against the wall!!!).

Any info is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your hard drive could be acting up or getting ready to fail. But that's not a given.... Try running the Apple Hardware Test on your computer to see if it comes up with any errors. If everything checks out OK with the AHT, run Disk Utility from your install DVD and do a verify and repair on the hard drive. That means booting from your install DVD first and then go to the top menu "Utilities", "Disk Utility". Highlight your hard drive on the left side and then select Verify and Repair.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« formatting a new hard drive | how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS? »