New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

What are downsides to this Backup Strategy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I currently have a 1 TB drive that I currently have divided into 2 separate partitions. On one partition I backup using Time Machine and the other I use Super Duper to backup my entire system.

On a second hard drive I back up the system as a sandbox anytime the Snow Leopard software has an update or to test new software to make sure it works properly before I add the changes to the main system.

(I also backup data only to the cloud but that is a last ditch failsafe and an extremely slow and arduous process.)

I want to eventually eliminate the cloud backup because of cost but I want to ensure that I have the most robust backup process that I can reasonable attain.

I have data that I cannot replace thus the question. I seem to remember reading somewhere in the forums that having two backup routines to the same HDD is not good.

I don't have all the answers so I would love to hear what the experts and long time Mac users BEST backup strategy is. I CANNOT lose data so that is the end result desired.

Thank you.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

2 backup apps to a single drive leaves you with 1 point of failure for everything. You never want a single point of failure for backups. Ever.

First: dedicate the whole drive to Time Machine. Let it do what it was designed to do and you will be OK.
Second: Data that absolutely cannot be lost, back up separately to some other media. I would recommend DL-DVDs (Dual Layer) - 8GB each.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Thanks Brad for the ideas. My next question may seem naive but does Leopard already have the necessary software to burn the data to DL cd's or will this take added 3rd party software?

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

You can burn to DL with the software built in. However, it will format the DVDs to be read only on other Mac's. If this isn't a problem, then you don't have to add anything extra. If you want to be able to read these on a different OS, you will want to look into some other burning software that will allow you to use other file systems.

There was a discussion on this just last week, but I dont remember which topic it was in. It had something to do with people not being able to boot from a DVD of Windows 7 they downloaded and burnt from Microsoft. Check the "Run Windows on your Mac" section and see if it is there.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Hi PatM

The recommended optimum solution is called the 3-2-1 Backup Strategy.
Here is a link from Mac 101 describing it but basically it is:
- 3 copies of your important data
- 2 different media types or disks
- 1 copy should be stored off-site

Mac 101 | How-To: Setup a Reliable Backup Strategy For Your Mac

I hope this article helps.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Thanks Deckyon. Mac is wall I want to read from. The windows laptop has been relegated to bookend duty.

Tried your Link DavidH but couldn't get to the article. But I get the gist of it anyway. Thanks

Regards,

Pat

QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Found the document DavidH. (I just love Google.)

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
2 backup apps to a single drive leaves you with 1 point of failure for everything.
Is there anyway to take the existing Time Machine partition and enlarge it to the entire 1 TB drive without reformatting the drive and losing the existing Time Machine data, or do I essentially have to format the drive and just start the Time Machine backup from the new point?

Regards,

Pat

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Go with registered SuperDuper on the external. This is then a bootable backup drive and Time Machine is not bootable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

I'm not sure what you are telling me. I use the registered version. Both Time Machine and SuperDuper are bootable on the external drive. I just want to eliminate the SuperDuper partition and allow Time Machine to use the complete drive but I want to do this without losing the existing Time Machine backups.

Pat

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sorry TM is not bootable. That was the reason for suggestion SuperDuper. TM is a back up program which you can use to migrate files etc over after you do a clean install from your operating system discs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The system I use is to have two local external HDs -- one for Time Machine, one for Carbon Copy Cloner (a similar program to SuperDuper).

I sometimes (not regularly) "archive" important documents to both DVD disks and cloud storage (I'm already a MobileMe member so I have room for some of this). The cloud stuff only gets "small" irreplaceable items like bookmark files, keychains, address book, that sort of thing.

The TM and CCC backups are automatic, I don't have to do anything. The small "cloud" stuff is auto-backed up by Apple's Backup app (for MM users).

If I had business or other important records of that nature on this machine, I'd probably also do a periodic "off-site" backup of stuff that doesn't change much or at all, but at present the only thing I have on my HD that would be "irreplaceable" are my iPhoto and iMovie libraries, and I feel well-covered on that sufficiently for the time being.
QUOTE Thanks
Tomel

Tomel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD

I only have a couple of suggestions to add to what's already been said.

1. I keep my offsite backup in a safe deposit box (I update this at least quarterly or when I have significant, important changes)
2. I keep my onsite backups in a fireproof media safe (a Time Machine Backup and a bootable CCC backup, each on a separate usb drive)
3. I keep an extra backup of my most critical files that change frequently (primarily financial) on a thumb drive that I can just stick in my pocket and take with me
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Thanks for all the good ideas. I am modifying my backup routine to take advantage of the ideas presented.

I have decided to put the Time Machine backup on the 1 TB drive utilizing the entire drive.

I have a second 500 GB drive that I will put Super Duper on. As well I will utilize a third drive (Not portable but a desktop drive.) that will be used as a sandbox. I rarely add programs to my system so I doubt that this will be utilized much thus the desktop rather than a portable drive. (And I don't need to spend anymore $$$.)

As well I will put the truly irreplaceable items on a CD and store them in my home safe.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Pat

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro | Using internet explorer on my Mac, do I have to ? »