New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Delete unnecessary files on OSX 10.5 hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maclover101

maclover101 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
My machine has been running very slowly as of late, and I recently decided to take action and start cleaning up my hard drive. I went through my documents and downloads and deleted a lot from there, but the difference in performance was very minimal. I went into the hard drive and looked in the library and there seemed to be A LOT of files which I do not know what they are. Some of them take up a lot of space, but I did not want to delete them since I don't know what they are.

Other than documents and downloads, what other files can I delete without being worried of deleting any important system files? If I set up a genius appointment at an apple store, would they be able to go through my whole hard drive and guide me through which files are needed for the system to run? Thanks in advance and I really do appreciate any advice given.

Daniel Alboukrek
QUOTE Thanks
Interregnum

Interregnum is on a distinguished road

Well, first off, how much free space do you have? How much ram do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
maclover101

Hi Interregnum,
I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. My hard drive's capacity is 185.99 GB and I have used 53.54 GB (meaning I still have 132.45 GB available).

Daniel Alboukrek
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Free space is not the issue then. What are you running, how is it running slowly etc?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
maclover101

Well, I guess it is not running really slow, it's just that the faster the better, and deleting unnecessary files can make it faster. It is certainly usable right now, but I would like to make it as fast as possible. If I bring in my machine to the genius bar, would they be willing to go through my whole hard drive and guide me through which files are needed for the system to run? I know it can be a very long process, and that is why I want to make sure they are willing to do it before I set up an appointment.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover101 View Post
If I bring in my machine to the genius bar, would they be willing to go through my whole hard drive and guide me through which files are needed for the system to run?
Maybe but I can, with good confidence, tell you that they'll probably say that you should only mess with files in your user directory and even then, you should probably avoid messing with the Library folder (both the user and system one). The only exception would be the /Applications folder.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Happy deleting, Five ways to slim down your Mac OS X install

Just don't come whining to me once your Mac refuses to boot, slows down to a crawl, etc. Because I take no responsibility what happens to your Mac once you open the link above.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Don't remove the languages and PowerPC code - you're asking for trouble if you do that. Removing those will likely cause you issues down the road.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Windy.

Windy. is on a distinguished road

Being an old fart novice I can only recommend what I would do safely. Using Firefox, Safari or whatever browser you are using clear your history. Empty your cache. I don't think you have anything to lose that way. If you haven't done this recently, or never do this routinely, you might have a whole bunch of junk slowing you down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help backing up hard drive (start up disk)! | PATH update for GUI apps »