New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot get time machine to work on MBP 15" 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Orchardmead143

Orchardmead143 is on a distinguished road

I appologise in advance if this is in the incorrect forum. Would a mod please move it if it is.

I have a QNAP TS439 Pro Server that is primarily used to store all my files on from my Windows 7 PC. I have recently purchased a MBP 15" and wish to use the server to backup my MBP using TimeMachine. I am accessing it (NAS) using an ethernet hardwired connection. Note. In finder I can see and access the server because I have downloaded all my photographs into iPhoto and also all my songs into iTunes.

I have set the server to accept the back up. See below:

When I go to the MBP settings and start the application, I see the NAS and get asked to put in my password. After that I find I cannot logon.

If I try to logon as myself, I cannot get access, and the same if I logon as TMBackup. It returns the error message " The operation could not be completed (OSStatus error 2.)

Can anyone please shed any light on this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The login name is:

TimeMachine

If that in itself does not do it, I'd be shooting an email to QNAP or see if they have a forum.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Orchardmead143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The login name is:

TimeMachine

If that in itself does not do it, I'd be shooting an email to QNAP or see if they have a forum.

Thanks. Yes I will look on their forum, but I do not hold out much hope.

Anyway, I used TimeMachine.

It asks for a password. I still cannot logon and still get the same error message. Further reading advises that I should set a password in Time Machine preferences. There is nowhere to do this!

I have also read through this article.....

Mac OS X 10.5: Security tips for using Time Machine over a network

The article also advises that a password be set in Time Machine preferences.

As far as I can see it is not a QNAP problem as the root of the problem is on the MBP when starting to run the application especially with regards to password requirements.

Edited. I went back to basics and started again and using TimeMachine again I reset the password yet again and it worked this time. So not a QNAP or Apple problem, it was my problem. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Orchardmead143

Thanks for the response. How can I test that everything is fine when I have used TimeMachine on the network. Is there a tutorial for this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Address Book | Empty Trash 56000 files? »