New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Please Help me i think my mac has a virus?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zakaos

zakaos is on a distinguished road

so it was working fine, i downloaded and installed some codecs to play video files because my powerbook g4 with 1 gig ram 10.3.9 was playing mp4 video really really choppy
so, my mac was running fine other than that, and i thought maybe i should reset and that would make the video work, well,
st
When i restarted, only the dock shows up, and i cant see anything else, neither the cd in the drive, nor the mounted HDD, nor even the time, apple menu, or my airport status.the power icon in the upper right hand corner start to load, then vanishes?

I'm really freaking out, every time i try to run one of the apps from the dock it bounces for a second and crashes,

Please someone help me to fix this, i'm a complete mac newbie, and i just paid over 200$ dollars for this machine, and if it doesnt work my gfs gonna kill me lol.
but seriously i am kinda panicking, and if someone could help me with this, it would mean everything to me
Thanks
-Zak
QUOTE Thanks
DeanP

DeanP is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Macs cannot get viruses, only malware. Can you uninstall the codecs and see what happens?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Where did you get this video codec from

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
Macs cannot get viruses, only malware.
Well, only because there aren't any viruses for Macs. See the link above.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaos View Post
so it was working fine, i downloaded and installed some codecs to play video files because my powerbook g4 with 1 gig ram 10.3.9 was playing mp4 video really really choppy
so, my mac was running fine other than that, and i thought maybe i should reset and that would make the video work, well,
st
When i restarted, only the dock shows up, and i cant see anything else, neither the cd in the drive, nor the mounted HDD, nor even the time, apple menu, or my airport status.the power icon in the upper right hand corner start to load, then vanishes?

I'm really freaking out, every time i try to run one of the apps from the dock it bounces for a second and crashes,

Please someone help me to fix this, i'm a complete mac newbie, and i just paid over 200$ dollars for this machine, and if it doesnt work my gfs gonna kill me lol.
but seriously i am kinda panicking, and if someone could help me with this, it would mean everything to me
Highly unlikely it's malware. More likely you have a hardware issue. First thing to do is run the Apple Hardware Test. If you have the gray OEM install disc, you can run it from that:
Apple Hardware Test Images

If you do not have those discs, you can now download the AHT from Apple:
Apple Hardware Test Images

If the hardware test checks out, you will want to test your hard drive.
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
zakaos

Quote:
Quote:
Can you uninstall the codecs and see what happens?
I can't acess finder at all, I can't run any programs, or acess any folders, the CD in the computer needs to be ejected somehow, if i need to fix it with a boot disk.
I dont know the first thing about fixing this problem, also, one thing i noticed is that when it starts up it does, checking disk, then it does network services, and then it goes straight to the desktop skipping the rest of the boot process that it usually process thru,
when i boot into safe mode It looks like all the boot steps process but i still have the same problems,

please help.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't acess finder at all, I can't run any programs, or acess any folders, the CD in the computer needs to be ejected somehow, if i need to fix it with a boot disk.
Are you saying your CD is stuck in the drive? Or you just don't know how to eject it? Or is the drive not working? And what is in the drive?
Ejecting a disc from the PowerBook G4 disc drive

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
zakaos

Quote:
Are you saying your CD is stuck in the drive? Or you just don't know how to eject it? Or is the drive not working? And what is in the drive?
Ejecting a disc from the PowerBook G4 disc drive
When I boot up mac osx:
the only thing that comes up,
is the dock.
there is no CD Icon to drag to the trash,
No hard drive, or folders at all on the desktop
when i try and run any programs they bounce for a second, then unexpectedly quit.
also at the top of the screen where the apple menu usually shows, up
and where the power, and airport status start to show up and disappear.

i think i have some of the worst malware ever.
is there another way to eject my disk without being able to drag it to the trash
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I doubt it's Malware even causing your issue as I have tried the 2 or so Malware on a Mac here and neither did anything like the issue you are having.

Although, the little Malware that is out there for OSX mostly comes with a certain Codec download.

On the DVD/CD, Boot up holding down the LEFT mouse button. KEEP it down right after you hear the startup sound and the CD should eject.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
i think i have some of the worst malware ever.
is there another way to eject my disk without being able to drag it to the trash
No, you do NOT have malware. And I posted a link to instructions for how to eject the disk. If you want to work through this, you need to pay closer attention to the information we are providing here, or you may as well give up. It's extremely tedious for us to repeat ourselves.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
zakaos

thanks for your reply , i was able to eject the disk with the link you provided me!
thanks!
now the problem im having is burning the apple hardware test dmg to a disc,
im running windows, and downloaded magic iso, which a site recommended me to use to burn dmg files, but its not recognizing it. whats the best program to use to burn a bootable disc from the aht dmg?
QUOTE Thanks
zakaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If you want to work through this, you need to pay closer attention to the information we are providing here, or you may as well give up. It's extremely tedious for us to repeat ourselves.
I apologize for getting frustrated, i realize you guys are going thru effort to help me, and im sorry for asking questions without following your instructions,
I am very grateful for the effort your expending to help me.
I will slow down and let you help me
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
thanks for your reply , i was able to eject the disk with the link you provided me!
thanks!
now the problem im having is burning the apple hardware test dmg to a disc,
im running windows, and downloaded magic iso, which a site recommended me to use to burn dmg files, but its not recognizing it. whats the best program to use to burn a bootable disc from the aht dmg?
Unfortunately, I can't find a definitive method of making a bootable DVD from a DMG using Windows. So for now, you'll have to skip the hardware test. Instead, move to testing the hard drive from your Mac OS install disc, assuming you have one. If you do not have one, then you need to buy OS X, and be sure to get a version that is compatible with your PowerBook.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
zakaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach
you need to buy OS X, and be sure to get a version that is compatible with your PowerBook.
I purchased this laptop via eBay, and it didnt include any install disks, osx retails at over 99.00, is this my only option?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cant find terminal- help please | Please Help - Mac Not Booting Up »