New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sandspr87

sandspr87 is on a distinguished road

I am about to purchase a Macbook Pro for the first time. I have been told the new Lion operating system comes out in Sept. I was wondering if I should wait to purchase the new computer with the new operating system or if I should go ahead and buy the new laptop and then purchase Lion when it comes out? I would like a new laptop as soon as possible but have no immediate problems with my current laptop other than it is a dell and has no battery life off the charger. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Lion comes out in July, most likely next week. I don't know who told you September.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
sandspr87

Ok well that helps out a lot. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
sandspr87

Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspr87 View Post
Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?
The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspr87 View Post
If I have heard right the upgrade price is $29.99. I don't know if that is a financial hardship for you but that's a pretty reasonable price so if you need a Mac laptop right now and can't wait then buying Lion later probably wouldn't be much of a hardship for you.

You just have to go through the process of upgrading your Mac which isn't really hard based on previous Mac OS upgrades.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

I am pretty sure a new machine purchased from June 6th til the release of Lion qualifies for free Lion upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.
All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.
That's great to hear. It looks like sandspr87 can now use that money to throw a "I just saved $29 so I'm throwing a $29 party to celebrate my saved money".
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

I would wait for new Macs with Lion already installed.
Many are expecting updates to various models so you could get a better price on an older model and still have Lion free....

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I want to launch firefox 2.0 from an icon and launch a specific website | iMac G3 not booting OS 9 install cd »