Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/244113-should-i-wait-buy-apple-once-lion-comes-out.html)

sandspr87 07-15-2011 03:29 PM

Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
 
I am about to purchase a Macbook Pro for the first time. I have been told the new Lion operating system comes out in Sept. I was wondering if I should wait to purchase the new computer with the new operating system or if I should go ahead and buy the new laptop and then purchase Lion when it comes out? I would like a new laptop as soon as possible but have no immediate problems with my current laptop other than it is a dell and has no battery life off the charger. Thanks for the help!

schweb 07-15-2011 03:31 PM

Lion comes out in July, most likely next week. I don't know who told you September.

sandspr87 07-15-2011 03:35 PM

Ok well that helps out a lot. Thanks!

sandspr87 07-15-2011 03:38 PM

Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?

JohnCL 07-15-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandspr87 (Post 1266114)
Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?

The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.

EndlessMac 07-15-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandspr87 (Post 1266114)
Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?

If I have heard right the upgrade price is $29.99. I don't know if that is a financial hardship for you but that's a pretty reasonable price so if you need a Mac laptop right now and can't wait then buying Lion later probably wouldn't be much of a hardship for you.

You just have to go through the process of upgrading your Mac which isn't really hard based on previous Mac OS upgrades.

Bob_Stan 07-15-2011 04:01 PM

I am pretty sure a new machine purchased from June 6th til the release of Lion qualifies for free Lion upgrade.

schweb 07-15-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 1266122)
The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.

All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.

EndlessMac 07-15-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schweb (Post 1266158)
All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.

That's great to hear. It looks like sandspr87 can now use that money to throw a "I just saved $29 so I'm throwing a $29 party to celebrate my saved money". ;)

torchy 07-15-2011 08:42 PM

I would wait for new Macs with Lion already installed.
Many are expecting updates to various models so you could get a better price on an older model and still have Lion free.... :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.