New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Network Drive Search?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

philbeckett

philbeckett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i7 Quadcore 15"

Hi, newbie here. Been al around the web looking for an answer to this one...

I have a WD Network Drive, I can access it fine, it's there in the sidebar of Finder but I can't seem to search it for particular files etc. (I click on it, then click on 'shared' folder on the WD and type a file name in the search field, but when hitting return 'Searching This Mac' is displayed), any ideas please, I've pasted below some info that was on here from a long time ago by the looks of it but I need a more step by step explanation of the process, thanks in advance for any help with this issue, best wishes, Phil.

USE THE TERMINAL OPTION mdutil.
It has a switch, -i, to enable indexing on a volume. So I just went ahead as root (sudo bash) and ran:
sudo bash. (my network drive example is named "ldm" so replace ldm by your network drive name)
mdutil /Volumes/ldm -i on
Then I checked the status with
mdutil /Volumes/ldm -s
And, behold ... I got back the following:
/Volumes/ldm/:

A second later, the Spotlight Icon started pulsating. Half an hour later, it stopped. I went to a Finder window, typed a query, and selected the network volume ldm. To my delight, matches were coming back instantaneously on files deep down in the file hierarchy on that volume. I have not checked whether newly added files are indexed on the fly, too, and I do not know where the .Spotlight-V100 file is stored (not in the root of the volume in question it seems).

I thought that others may give it a try to confirm whether this is working as expected. The volume I tested this with was an AFP volume served via NETATALK (v. 2.0.2) by my Linux server (a x86 debian box). Unfortunately, it appears to fail with SAMBA. I have not checked NFS. One caveat: you must rerun the mdutil command each time the volume is mounted.

Hope it helps someone!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbeckett View Post
Hi, newbie here. Been al around the web looking for an answer to this one...

I have a WD Network Drive, I can access it fine, it's there in the sidebar of Finder but I can't seem to search it for particular files etc. (I click on it, then click on 'shared' folder on the WD and type a file name in the search field, but when hitting return 'Searching This Mac' is displayed), any ideas please, I've pasted below some info that was on here from a long time ago by the looks of it but I need a more step by step explanation of the process, thanks in advance for any help with this issue, best wishes, Phil.
For the sake of clarity, here's a link to the actual posting of the tip the OP referenced:
Indexing a network drive with Spotlight

Rather than bothering with trying to force Spotlight to index a network drive, especially considering you have to re-do it each time it's mounted, try using EasyFind. It's a GREAT tool and superior to Spotlight in some ways.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
philbeckett

philbeckett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i7 Quadcore 15"

Just using it now, I'll let you know if it works for me, thanks again, Phil.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac os x Tiger Question. | I want my original Mac theme back! :( Help? »