New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I want my original Mac theme back! :( Help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

J_Annable

J_Annable is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I'm new here and am more than likely to have posted this is the wrong place...!

Basically, I installed a theme for my Mac but I quickly grew to dislike it and wished I'd never tampered with anything! As a new Mac user, I am not sure how to just get rid of this theme and go back to my original? I've looked at all of these 'Mac Theme Installer' programs - Magnifique etc - But none of them give me the option to uninstall the current theme...

I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 and would really appreciate it if somebody could supply me with a quick fix to this?

I should mention that I didn't change the theme through a 'theme changer' program - I just downloaded a file and in unzipped - I then ran the file and it talked me through a quick installation and voila - It was changed...

I hate the toolbar at the top on the new theme as half of it you can read, and the other half is virtually the same colour as the toolbar itself! = Frustration!

But like I say, any help I would appreciate greatly as I am a perfectionist! Ha ha

Jack
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

You did have a recent Time Machine backup before you applied this theme, right? If so, just follow these instructions from Apple
QUOTE Thanks
J_Annable

Is that something that you have to manually set? If so, then no I don't!

Fingers crossed, is there any other way to get it back if I don't have a Time Machine backup?

By the way, thanks for the speedy reply!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You're much more likely to get specific help if you fill us in on what you downloaded so that there is some clue as to what and how it made changes.

Did you open up that file you downloaded and read the txt file that most of them come with?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
J_Annable

Sorry no I didn't, I just opened the installer after it unzipped and it got to work

Can't remember where I got it from, but I watched a Youtube video and it was that video that directed me to the site for where to get hold of it. Then it was just a simple case of unzip, and clicking next on the installer!

I wish it was as simple as changing themes on Windows

I was wondering, if I could get hold of the Mac OS X disc could I just reinstall a fresh copy from that?

J
QUOTE Thanks
J_Annable

I managed to find the site where I downloaded the theme.. and like I say, from that point, I unzipped and the installer opened to which I clicked 'next' until I had the theme.. BIG MISTAKE!

Fitness-Fanatic Perfectionist

"You can make excuses or get results... but you can't do both."
QUOTE Thanks
J_Annable

Would help if I gave it you guys!

Snow Leopard Black OS X update by ~wavespell on deviantART

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

According to the link you posted, it has it's own uninstaller. Would suggest you use it.

It also states it doesn't work in 10.6.5 - 10.6.7, so I'd also suggest you make sure you're updated to 10.6.8 prior to using the uninstaller.

QUOTE Thanks
J_Annable

You absolute lifesaver! I should really learn to read things properly haha - It's when I get excited about something I just rush straight into it.

I actually installed ANOTHER theme on top of that one so I went back and ran the uninstaller for that an voila, original theme is back - Thank you - You've saved me a lot of frustration - Thumbs up!

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Good deal! Sometimes, a pause for a little breather is all it takes.

QUOTE Thanks
J_Annable

Agreed! - Thanks again

QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

And now... make a BACKUP!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Hmmm. I didn't know theming was still alive and well for OS X. I thought it pretty much died when Unsanity was unable to get ShapeShifter to run under Snow Leopard.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network Drive Search? | All files are lost after a reinstall »