New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Why is My Mac So Slow and Sad? :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caf5gb

caf5gb is on a distinguished road

So in the last month or so, my Mac has decided to become very slow. It takes forever to load pictures and videos, sometimes even websites. I've tried repeatedly to download MacKeeper in order to clean up my hard drive, but whenever I try to do so, I get an error message. I've tried to manually delete files that I don't use and have cleaned out my cache because I figured insufficient space was the main cause for the slowness, but I don't understand how so much memory can be used already on my computer (granted I've had it for 3 years, but there's only 22 of 111 GB left and I don't have any kind of games or lots of videos or memory-hogging things in the hard-drive...just pictures and music and word documents)...please help with suggestions etc. so using the internet and trying to do things other than type on my computer aren't so frustrating! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You don't say how much memory you do have installed. So maybe more RAM and definitely a larger HDD. Also open Activity Monitor to see if any specific utility or app is using a great deal of resources. When was last time you verified and repaired permissions in Disk Utility?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Keep well away from MacKeeper and if it has downloaded, that may well be the problem.

MacKeeper

Download Onyx from which is better and freeware and use that.

http://onyx.en.softonic.com/mac

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf5gb View Post
(granted I've had it for 3 years, but there's only 22 of 111 GB left Thanks!
From my short time on this forum it is my understanding that Mac OS likes a lot of free space. I don't know if 22 GB of 111 is a lot. It may be getting on the low side for optimal performance.

However based on what I read on Mac-Forums Mac Keeper is not good software and may be a contributing factor to your woes. You may want to do some troubleshooting with help from others. You can probably Google how to remove that software though I think it is very difficult. Your best choice may be to get a larger HDD and then start with a fresh install.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal command gone wrong | Weird Word/Chinese input/driver issue »