New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS?

Thread Closed

dheepaksivam

dheepaksivam is on a distinguished road

I currently have a intel based mac with the OS tiger 10.4... been a while since I used the mac book and realized there's been quite a number of releases and upgrades...

how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS? the options in the apple site seem to be confusing a lot.. as it states that I need to first upgrade to snow leopard and then upgrade to Lion. Is this the only way? Can't I get Lion OS from the shelf and install the new OS...

Finally what will be the cost damage that I will be facing...?

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me around this....
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Lion OS will only be sold via the Mac App Store which is only on Snow Leopard.

To go from Tiger to Snow Leopard, you'll need to purchase:
Mac Box Set - Apple Store (U.S.)

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
To go from Tiger to Snow Leopard, you'll need to purchase:
Mac Box Set - Apple Store (U.S.)
"Need" is a bit strong there. Technically, not true. But, you could say that it's "the right thing to do".
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
"Need" is a bit strong there. Technically, not true. But, you could say that it's "the right thing to do".
Yes, and we generally post the right things to do here.

Check out the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines.

dheepaksivam

dheepaksivam is on a distinguished road

schweb - I checked with the local istore for the mac box set you mentioned, but they told that it is not possible for me to upgrade directly from tiger to snow leopard.

first i need to upgrade to leopard and then again to snow leopard.... is this correct?

seriously thingking of scrapping this mac book once for all!!!
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepaksivam View Post
schweb - I checked with the local istore for the mac box set you mentioned, but they told that it is not possible for me to upgrade directly from tiger to snow leopard.

first i need to upgrade to leopard and then again to snow leopard.... is this correct?

seriously thingking of scrapping this mac book once for all!!!
Your store was incorrect, that is what that boxed set exists is for people who need to upgrade to Snow Leopard from an OS before Leopard.

There is a disk for $29 for those who already have Leopard to upgrade.

I would just buy the set, or order it directly from Apple. It is exactly what you need to get to SL.

Windy.

Windy. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepaksivam View Post
I currently have a intel based mac with the OS tiger 10.4... been a while since I used the mac book and realized there's been quite a number of releases and upgrades...

how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS? the options in the apple site seem to be confusing a lot.. as it states that I need to first upgrade to snow leopard and then upgrade to Lion. Is this the only way? Can't I get Lion OS from the shelf and install the new OS...

Finally what will be the cost damage that I will be facing...?

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me around this....
I just converted 10.4 to 10.6.8 using the $29 Snow Leopard program I purchased directly in person from Best Buy in the US. I did not convert to 10.5 at all and went directly to 10.6. Check an Apple store out near your home for the $29 SNOW LEOPARD program. I am not in anyway a computer expert just a plain old fart tinkerer! I think you have to first upgrade to Snow Leopard and then work from there to get up to Lion.

With Tiger 10.4 none of my Firefox updates were coming in anymore. Safari was stuck on 3 point something and I had not received any Apple upgrades in many months. So, after reading several links on using the $29 program to update to 10.6 I gave it a try.

Many if not all of the links on this upgrade said to back up my old programs. I bought a 500 GB external HD at Best Buy. Transferred a lot of programs to that HD and to some Flash Drives I had available. With this Seagate HD I transferred my entire Mac HD to that external HD. But I never had to use any of that saved info!

Reading the info available most of the advice was to use a clean install. I did not do this! I would have if the installation said to but it did not!

I read the instructions and inserted the Snow Leopard program into the computer and followed directions. I expected some sort of request to format or somehow "clean" the computer hard drive or something like that using the Utility Program that showed up at the top the screen - no request!

I continued with the install knowing that if anything screwed up I still had the original Installation Disks. Eventually after answering the prompts the program finished and I had Snow Leopard and over 90% of my old programs. There was some tweaking to do to remove items that did not work and I had to download Rosetta Stone that came with Snow Leopard.

It took quite some time to get 10.6 to 10.6.8 but everything came in okay. I was sweating if Apple would continue with future updates and they seem to be coming in okay. Got one more yesterday. Firefox updated to FF 5.0 then to 5.1 and Safari is now at 5.0.5.

I had no music or movies stored on my computer. But I did have a lot of documents and photos that transferred over okay. Firefox, Safari and my Camino came through with my bookmarks in the right places and still working.

Only downside is that my Samsung printer would not work off the new Snow Leopard install. Working on figuring that out right now. I downloaded new drivers and other stuff suggested but still no luck. Printer works with my PC okay and worked with Mac before with no problem. Other posts I read claim the same problem with Snow Leopard. Looking for a fix!

Lots more color and quite a few programs available with the new update. I guess things I never used before I had removed years ago. I don't play games. Time Machine is interesting and I am still puzzled about what Memeo is supposed to do. But all in all so far so good! I sure want to get the printer working but that is not a total bummer since I can use the PC for some things.

(I went directly from 10.4 Tiger to 10.6 Snow Leopard with no 10.5 in between. Total cost except for the HD was $29 plus tax.)

Good luck.
zarathu

zarathu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge

You also need to have Snow leopard 10.6 to get to Lion. And you should upgrade to 10.8 since apparently there are specific things in that that get the snowleopard ready to accept the Lion system.

It goes without saying that you need a core2duo(the 2 must be in the middle), or you can't upgrade to Lion. If not then you've reached the Peter Principle in computers. My Powerbook 800, has been left behind at Tiger 4.11. It was 67mhz short of the required power.

"I've always wanted to own and control the primary technology in everything we do."
-- Steve Jobs, BusinessWeek Online, Oct. 12, 2004
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathu View Post
You also need to have Snow leopard 10.6 to get to Lion. And you should upgrade to 10.8 since apparently there are specific things in that that get the snowleopard ready to accept the Lion system.
I believe you mean 10.6.8
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, it would make no sense (except, perhaps, to Doctor Who) that you would have to upgrade to 10.8 in order to be ready to downgrade to 10.7.
portnoy

portnoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Could "the right thing to do" include using a mac that does have snow leopard, log into it's "app store" with HIS apple id, purchase Lion, create a Lion DVD and upgrade his Tiger Mac to Lion from that? Asking because my daughter's macbook is running Leopard.
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by portnoy View Post
Could "the right thing to do" include using a mac that does have snow leopard, log into it's "app store" with HIS apple id, purchase Lion, create a Lion DVD and upgrade his Tiger Mac to Lion from that? Asking because my daughter's macbook is running Leopard.
No not really.

chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I haven't seen the Lion Terms and Conditions, but would gladly big a sizable sum of money that portnoy's suggestion (too bad it wasn't a complaint -- maybe we'll get one from him later!) is hopelessly in violation of it.
toMACsh

Ok, how about this one...
Jim's older computer is dying. He decides to buy a new one, with Lion on it. His old one is going to the great computer wasteland, never to be booted up again. Can he give his Snow Leopard retail disc to his brother, who is still using Tiger on a machine that can run it? If so, is there a prescribe process for doing so?
schweb

Ok since people aren't taking the hint in this thread, I'll go ahead and lock it.

Thread Closed

« error message -600 | Help backing up hard drive (start up disk)! »