New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wiping out OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

confused_chris

confused_chris is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I recently purchased an iMac g4 that's running Leopard 10.5.8 and I'm looking to wipe the system out. Can someone send me a link that has detailed instructions on how to do this please?

Thanks in advance,
Confused Chris
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

uhm, do you really want the spammers to have your email address?

We may have 2,000 bots scanning this forum at any given time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

I supposed youre right....never thought of that....

Hi,

I recently purchased an iMac g4 that's running Leopard 10.5.8 and I'm looking to wipe the system out. Can someone send me a link that has detailed instructions on how to do this please? I have the installation disk to reinstal.

Thanks in advance,
confused_chris
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What are you going to do, format and reinstall? Which OS are you going to install? Just curious why you are wiping the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Not to mention the point of Mac-Forums is to help people in the public forums, not to provide personal tech support via email.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

Yes, I want to wipe my hard drive completely clean and reinstal Leopard The reason for doing so is that I purchased this computer from another individual and not only do I want to wipe his information off, but I want to regain the storage he used with his information. I have a Leopard 10.5.6 Disk along with ilife and iworks. Once I install this version of Leopard will I not be able to go out and download the update to 10.5.8?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Your iMac is over 867MHz? The Leopard disc is a black full retail install DVD?

Okay pop the Leopard disc in the optical drive, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime. After selecting language go to Utilities in the Menu bar, Disc Utility and select Erase, and Zero the Drive under Security options if you want to be completely sure, format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) under Partition select Apple partitiopn map, back to Installer and run.

Then update to OS X.5.8 via the Apple web site using the Combo Updater from here:-

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

Ok so I found a Mac OSX Leopard Install DVD version 10.5.6 This is all I need to do what I want to do....isn't it? I know major upgrades/updates cost like going from leopard to snow leopard but once i install 10.5.6 I can upgrade to 10.5.8 for free (minor) is this correct?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Yes you can upgrade to OS X.5.8which is it for a PowerPC G4. Make sure the disc you have is a black retail full install DVD and not a silver/grey system disc which are extremely model specific. Pop the Leopard DVD in, reboot and hold down 'C' after the chime and see if the iMac boots from it.

If all is good proceed as described above.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« battery not charging on snow leopard | Java Applet Window login/pw invalid screen keeps popping up »