New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Airport clarification

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spikepit

Spikepit is on a distinguished road

Hi all. i am new to Apple products ... computers in general and am paranoid about something. My internet usage is being used quicker than it should be and then I find this 'Airport' thing (which I assume is the same as Wireless Network Connections on my PC at work?) and it has a list of other names in it.

Some of the names on the list I know as my neighbours some I don't know. SO I'm wondering what is this list exactly? So my question is, are:

~these other people I can talk to some how on my mac.
~the names just a list of people in my network (like on the PC at work) or worse (and most importantly what Im worried about)
~these the names of people that are using up my internet?!?!?!?!

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikepit View Post
Hi all. i am new to Apple products ... computers in general and am paranoid about something. My internet usage is being used quicker than it should be and then I find this 'Airport' thing (which I assume is the same as Wireless Network Connections on my PC at work?) and it has a list of other names in it.

Some of the names on the list I know as my neighbours some I don't know. SO I'm wondering what is this list exactly? So my question is, are:

~these other people I can talk to some how on my mac.
~the names just a list of people in my network (like on the PC at work) or worse (and most importantly what Im worried about)
~these the names of people that are using up my internet?!?!?!?!

Thank you in advance.
That list of names would be other wireless routers within range of your computer. No need to worry about them… just connect to your own. But… if you can see theirs, then they can see yours. Do you have a password set up for accessing your wireless service? If not, then anyone could be connecting and using it freely.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Wireless networks, by default, broadcast their names to make them easier to find and join. Think of carnival barkers trying to draw customers in. If there's a lock by the name, then the network is using some sort of encryption and requires a password to join. If not, it's open and unprotected.

You may also configure your wireless network as a "closed" network, where the network name is not broadcasted. The upside to this is your neighbors won't see it in their list of wireless networks. The downside is you will have to type in the name of the network to join it, at least the first time. It's not super secure, as the name can be discovered, or once joined, it's in the wireless history.
QUOTE Thanks
Spikepit

So they cannot be using my internet at all if I have a password? Which I do (a really complex one at that), meaning that my internet is getting used because of another reason, not some else using my internet?

I just want to be certain. Thank you so so so much for noviceness!

So there, I said, what now!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Unless they know the password, no, they won't be able to use your wireless. I encourage you to use WPA encryption, ideally WPA2. WEP encryption has been compromised so that capturing a relatively few packets can provide enough information to decrypt the key.
QUOTE Thanks
Spikepit

Thank you so much. I'll take this on board.

So there, I said, what now!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As EvenStranger suggests, WPA2 Personal with a 13 numerical/alphabetical combined password.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

I've mentioned before using "pass phrases" or a sentence which is meaningful to you to create a secure password. Let's say for example I choose "My parents were 23 when they got married." I use the first initial of each word - Mpw23wtgm. I now have a password containing upper and lowercase characters, numbers and punctuation. Very secure, memorable, and virtually impervious to a brute force attack.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yellow pop up box appearing, for eg. when view thread titles on this site | Mac mini Snow Leopard OS X experiencing sudden and extreme slow down »