New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Some sites say browser needs to be upgraded, but it already is

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kandytg

kandytg is on a distinguished road

I thought you had mentioned it because you were suggesting it! It has already found an infected file in my Firefox cache. I can't copy the whole file name, but the description says: html/infected.webpage.gen
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

OK my Mac friends--just ran DU again, and it says that this disk needs to be repaired. Start your computer with another disk (such as installation disk) then use disk utility to repair. How do I do this?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandytg View Post
OK my Mac friends--just ran DU again, and it says that this disk needs to be repaired. Start your computer with another disk (such as installation disk) then use disk utility to repair. How do I do this?
Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk

You seem to have a lot of issues with your system. Between the way the AV software is interfering with your browsers; the apps you mentioned that you removed but still are lurking; these new disk issues that need repairing… I'm really beginning to think you should just go ahead and reinstall OS X from scratch. It's very rare that I recommend it, but you have so much going on, and probably more that we don't know about given your use of MacCleanse and MacKeeper, that you may as well just start over. If you do…. avoid any AV software, "cleaning" software, and especially MacKeeper. Check with us before trying anything that is supposed to "maintain", "clean", or "secure" your system.
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

You all have been really helpful. I looked at all the software I have, and I don't see an installation disk--does it come with all MacBooks?

When I finally find (or buy) the disk, do I then reload my files on the backup drive using Time Machine? Or are those corrupt also?

So from what I can conclude, if I ever think something's wrong, run the disk utility..
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Quote:
You all have been really helpful. I looked at all the software I have, and I don't see an installation disk--does it come with all MacBooks?

When I finally find (or buy) the disk, do I then reload my files on the backup drive using Time Machine? Or are those corrupt also?

So from what I can conclude, if I ever think something's wrong, run the disk utility..
Did you buy the Mac new or used? If you bought it new you should have all the necessary disks that you need. If you bought it used you will probably have to buy a disk. I am not an expert buy any means on this type of thing so I would wait for direction on this. Your exact model number and OS version will be needed for others to help you.

It appears that you have a mess on your hands. It can be fixed though. Once you get the system reinstalled I would steer clear of antivirus things and most types of Mac Fixer software. Most is no good. I would search this forum and spend a lot of time here. It won't take long to learn what is good AND bad for your portable.

Good luck.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All Macs come with an installation disk. Except MacBook Airs, I think.

Quote:
It's hard to know what may or may not be messed up. However, I do think you should be fine migrating your user from the Time Machine backup. Here's a guide:
How-To: Upgrade To Snow Leopard — The Right Way | Cult of Mac

Go with the "Start from Scratch" option they present, but you can skip steps 1 and 2 if you are confident that your Time Machine backup has everything you want on it. If you aren't sure, then do step 2. Ignore step 1 entirely. When it's time to migrate your user, you can pick the Time Machine backup.

Quote:
Easier than Disk Utility is Onyx. It has a more complete suite of maintenance and other tools that can help solve some issues. It's highly recommended by everyone here. And it's free! An alternative that I also use is TinkerTool System. It's not free, but not expensive. It duplicates a lot of what Onyx does, but it goes to great lengths to explain everything it does and take some precautions. It's the ONLY tool of this class that I recommend spending money on.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

I found out how to run in Safe Mode, and now the sites that were giving me problems are now working. Thoughts, my Mac geniuses?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I found out how to run in Safe Mode, and now the sites that were giving me problems are now working. Thoughts, my Mac geniuses?
We've already determined that VirusBarrier was the problem. And furthermore recommended you reinstall OS X due to the various issues we know you have, and others that likely are still lurking. This advice is not going to change.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
espi

espi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard

Re. the business of repairing your system drive: if you haven't got access to an OSX installation disk, you could download the freeware utility APPLEJACK from HERE and install it. When it's installed, you won't find it in "Applications". It's what's called a "shell script". This page has full isntructions on how to use its many features:

applejack user manual

However, don't panic: you don't have to remember all of that stuff! The easiest way to use it is to let it do all the work automatically.

Re-boot into single-user mode (hold down the option key and "s" key while the machine re-boots). Single-user mode is a command-line thing: your mouse won't work, you'll be using just the keyboard, typing in commands.

You will see a screen full of white text. Type "applejack AUTO restart" and hit the return key. Applejack will run a full diagnostic and repair routine on your system drive. When it's finished, it will boot up your machine normally. With a bit of luck, you'll have a healthy operating system!
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

Last night, I deleted anything that had to do with viruses or cleaning. I must have not restarted again, but I just checked everything out again, and it's back to normal!! Thank you all for your help and advice.
QUOTE Thanks
espi

espi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard

That's good news, but the likelihood is that your operating system will still be a bit bent, so I strongly recommend that you use that applejack utility to get things ship-shape.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Reason #5,002 why not to use any so-called (har har) "anti-virus" programs. They are all junk that themselves cause problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro backups question | Mac os x Tiger Question. »