New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Some sites say browser needs to be upgraded, but it already is

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kandytg

kandytg is on a distinguished road

I feel like something may have been deleted when I ran MacCleanse. In the menu is a task manager for Promethean (whiteboard) software which I thought was deleted, an icon for the scanner, one for SMART response, then the usual Time Maching, Displays etc.
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

I also have a plugin NP-PPC-Dir shockwave and an adobepdfviewer.plugin
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I try not to use any of the so called Mac cleanup programs. I hear more bad things about them than good. I also am very careful about what I load into my computer especially since this is a new gig to me. I find the less I mess with it the better off I am. I actually learned that lesson on the Windows side of the equation. I've reformatted and reloaded operating systems more than I care to remember. One of the things that attracted me to the Mac was the stability of the operating system.

But it can be just as unstable as a windows machine if programs are loaded willie nillie with no regards for the consequences. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about you I'm talking about me. I am very careful what I load and try to do proper due diligence before I do. As well I am using a Sandbox now which lets me make system changes and software additions so that I can see if there are any unintended consequences.

I don't know about the MacCleanse program or how good (or bad) it does it's job. Do you have a stable backup that you can restore from?

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

I do have a backup drive, which I use about once a week, but have never done a restore before. Will it do anything to new files I have created?
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Did you run the MacCleanse program before or after your last backup?
Is it a full system backup or just a data backup?

If it is a full system backup and it was done before the MacCleanse operation you may be able to do a system restore to get back full functionality of your browsers. It will overwrite any new changes to your system since the last full backup.

If it's possible to go this route and you have data that you have created since your last backup then you will need to save that manually on a thumb drive or disc so that you do not lose it.

Make sense?

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Before reinstalling the system or restoring a backup, I would first try downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo to see if this resolves the problem. As for MacCleanse, I doubt it could have caused this. Do you have any "security" software installed, like MacKeeper or any Symantec (Norton) software? I'm also rethinking the possibility that you have a trojan like MacDefender, but I don't know enough about it to say if this would be a symptom. I'm at work now so can't be of much help for a bit, but wanted to throw this out for now.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

As ^^^^ lifeisabeach mentioned dl the Combo Update, and then RepairPermissions via Disk Utility

Open DU select yourHD in the left column and make sure the First Aid tab is clicked. Then hit the repair permissions. Sit back have a coffee then once its done (disregard all the errors) log out then back in. See what happens . . . Cant hurt either

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

I agree with the others on this.

Restoring your system should be a last resort. Especially if it is an untested backup and/or restore system!

Regards,

Pat

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Go here with one of the browsers that is causing an issue and report back with the results. Report back the following: the user agent string (the value in the textbox) and the version of the browser that it recognizes. Please also provide the exact version number of the browser that you are using. I just want to see if your browser is identifying itself properly.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

Yikes--I ran the update and I'm running DU now--looks like a lot of repairs. I also put my browser in the link above, and got this message:

MozillaProductSlice. Claims to be a Mozilla based user agent, which is only true for Gecko browsers like Firefox and Netscape. For all other user agents it means 'Mozilla-compatible'. In modern browsers, this is only used for historical reasons. It has no real meaning anymore
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

I also tried Google chrome with the same link and it said the same thing. The anti-virus software I have is Virus Barrier.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I need the part under "User Agent String explained." I also need the version number of the browser you're using.

Disable VB and try to reload the page.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
kandytg

Mozilla/5.0 (000000000; 00000 000 00 0 0000; 00000000) DDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm using Firefox 5.0.1

I disabled VB and am running Mac Keeper
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandytg View Post
Mozilla/5.0 (000000000; 00000 000 00 0 0000; 00000000) DDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm using Firefox 5.0.1

I disabled VB and am running Mac Keeper
Aha! Get rid of both of those. MacKeeper in particular is nothing but trouble. I'd wager that it is the culprit.

http://www.fixkb.com/2011/03/remove-mackeeper.html

EDIT: a brief Google search actually shows that VirusBarrier is known to cause this. So definitely be rid of that. Still recommending removing MacKeeper. That software is held in very very very low regard here.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandytg View Post
There's your problem - that's not a valid user agent string (this identifies your browser). Some websites check to see what browser you're running and since that is a non-sensical one, it isn't recognized and the page therefore thinks you're running an unsupported browser.

Here's mine for instance:
Quote:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.821.0 Safari/535.1
You can see how yours is missing a lot of detail.

Virus Barrier has been noted as a cause of "zeroed" user agent strings.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro backups question | Mac os x Tiger Question. »