New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading to Lion

Thread Closed

bitlord

bitlord is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if anyone has plans to upgrade there Macs at there company?

I currently have several Macs running Leopard at work but they don't connect to the internet. Has anyone heard of a way I can upgrade these systems?
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

A quick Google search yields:
Apple outlines Lion upgrade path for business and education customers | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Apple offers Lion upgrade details for business, education customers | Operating Systems | Macworld

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
bitlord

Thanks for the info. I don't have 20 Macs to upgrade though.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're not going to be able to upgrade them from Leopard anyway. You must be running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on those machine before you can upgrade them.
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And then they must all be Intel processors and your original post does not supply this vital information.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
bitlord

Ok, the Mac have Intel chips. Having to 1st upgrade to Snow Leopard is not something that makes sense. Most companies are upgrading there Windows machines from XP to Win7. Microsoft is not making them 1st upgrade to Vista. There must be a way to do a clean install from Leopard to Lion. If not then we will most likely not upgrade. If Apple stops supporting Leopard then we can always put UNIX/Linux on the computers or heaven forbid Win7
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitlord View Post
Ok, the Mac have Intel chips. Having to 1st upgrade to Snow Leopard is not something that makes sense. Most companies are upgrading there Windows machines from XP to Win7. Microsoft is not making them 1st upgrade to Vista. There must be a way to do a clean install from Leopard to Lion. If not then we will most likely not upgrade. If Apple stops supporting Leopard then we can always put UNIX/Linux on the computers or heaven forbid Win7
That's the way it is this time. Lion requires Snow Leopard, which a majority of Mac users with Lion supported machine already are using SL so it's not a big deal for most.

If you want to be so extreme as to wipe OS X off your Macs and switch to Windows 7, more power to you, but that seems a bit dramatic since upgrading to SL and Lion is still less than half the price of Windows 7 upgrade license.

To be quite honest, a comment like that just says to me you don't like having to support Macs anyway.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

bitlord

schweb,
I am a Solaris (UNIX) admin by trade. I really like Macs and most of the user of the Macs at work are UNIX /Linux people. I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

Changing form the Mac OS to UNIX/Linux is free. As for windows I can buy a copy of windows from Microsoft for just $10 for personal use though my company. Corporate discounts are nice.

I like the Mac and don't mind supporting them on the desktop. Plus most of the User are admins like me so it is really easy. Though we don't have any many that touch the Internet at this time. If SL was installed on the Mac the App Store is not an approved app for are systems at this time.

Sorry if I upset you.
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
schweb,
I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.
I don't think that's gonna happen. They rarely look back on such decisions.
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
schweb,
I am a Solaris (UNIX) admin by trade. I really like Macs and most of the user of the Macs at work are UNIX /Linux people. I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

Changing form the Mac OS to UNIX/Linux is free. As for windows I can buy a copy of windows from Microsoft for just $10 for personal use though my company. Corporate discounts are nice.

I like the Mac and don't mind supporting them on the desktop. Plus most of the User are admins like me so it is really easy. Though we don't have any many that touch the Internet at this time. If SL was installed on the Mac the App Store is not an approved app for are systems at this time.

Sorry if I upset you.
Now I think you're just trolling since you didn't bother to apparently read either of the links provided to you about corporate installs.

Enjoy your linux...bye.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Thread Closed

« A file lost without me doing anything | 10.6.8 update - dock not working »