New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

None of your preferred networks are available

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JonHurley

JonHurley is on a distinguished road

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.
whenever my mac book pro is woken up from sleep I get this message "None of your preferred networks are available".

I can see the router name "NETGEAR" on the list with a locked icon next to it and when I click on that it asks for a password (even though I have saved this information previously). So I enter the password and click join and it tries to connect but then says "connection timeout".

The only way around this is to turn the router off and on again and it connects -but as you can imagine this is a bit of a pain.

any help gratefully received.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Name your network something with a less generic name. It is HIGHLY likely that another router unimaginatively called "netgear" is out there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd definitely change the name of the network as chas suggests. Also, make sure you're using WPA/WPA2 and not WEP.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JonHurley

I have just done as you suggest - changed name (SSID) of router and made sure using WPA2 - but still unable to connect
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A few things to try.

Temporarily remove the encryption from the network just as a test to see if you still have the problem.

Go into the advanced menu and delete everything in the Preferred Networks box, exit perferences, open it back up and re-add your network.

You might also try changing the channel of your network - could be one or more other neighborhood routers trying to use the same channel.

Test with another router to see if you have the same issue - local Starbucks, etc. - could be time for a new router.

QUOTE Thanks
JonHurley

When you say "remove the encryption" do you mean remove the password?

Your second suggestion - I have already tried that - no luck.

3rd suggestion - the channel is on "Auto" at the moment and there is a pull down menu with options to change it to "01" down to "11". so do I just select one of these?

Also router is brand new.

Also - should have mentioned this before - there is another Mac on the network (connected wirelessly) and that too looses its connection with the router on wake up and will not connect again until router is turned off and on again.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHurley View Post
When you say "remove the encryption" do you mean remove the password?

Your second suggestion - I have already tried that - no luck.

3rd suggestion - the channel is on "Auto" at the moment and there is a pull down menu with options to change it to "01" down to "11". so do I just select one of these?

Also router is brand new.

Also - should have mentioned this before - there is another Mac on the network (connected wirelessly) and that too looses its connection with the router on wake up and will not connect again until router is turned off and on again.
Far from an authority here...but the two Macs could be trying to connect with the same IP...Just a thought..
QUOTE Thanks
JonHurley

yes this could be the problem. I did get a message once saying "another device is using my computer's ISP" or something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
JonHurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
A few things to try.

Temporarily remove the encryption from the network just as a test to see if you still have the problem.

Go into the advanced menu and delete everything in the Preferred Networks box, exit perferences, open it back up and re-add your network.

You might also try changing the channel of your network - could be one or more other neighborhood routers trying to use the same channel.

Test with another router to see if you have the same issue - local Starbucks, etc. - could be time for a new router.
tried all of the above - still no go.
except for the last suggestion - but it is a brand new router.

could it be an IP address conflict - if so how do I resolve it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Sounds like that's what it is. Which router is it?

Check the Netgear site for a firmware update for it.

QUOTE Thanks
Steggall

Steggall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Name your network something with a less generic name. It is HIGHLY likely that another router unimaginatively called "netgear" is out there.
I don't think that's the problem (that the router called "netgear" in the original poster's screen is not his router) - but I do agree that he should rename it to something different.

The same thing happens to me from time to time as well. The airport connection on my MacBook Pro will drop, and when I try to reconnect, I receive a message that says "None of your preferred networks are available" It then tells me to try to connect to one of the networks below, and I can see my home network there, and my network has a unique name, so I know it's mine. But, when I select my network from the list in this manner, it asks me for the network password, which it shouldn't ask for because the password has been properly saved, and even if you type in the password, the connection times out.

I know the password is properly saved because when I turn on my MacBook Pro, it automatically connects to my wireless network without asking for a password. It's just that the connection will occasionally drop, and then OS/X gives me the message that the network is not available, while still listing my network in a box of available networks.

Usually, the only way to fix this is to either wait for the connection to return, to turn off airport and then turn it back on, or to power cycle the router.

But as listed, it's very annoying to have to do any of these.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

I don't have a solution...but you have a network problem between two computers fighting for the same IP address...my guess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« netsession_Mac_8d9378b | Need help finding/ recovering my Hard drive. »