New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Leopard 10.5 OS Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

confused_chris

confused_chris is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I really hope I'm posting this in the right area and I apologize if I'm not, for I am a new Mac user converting from PC and I'm trying to learn everything by trial and error....again I apologize if wrong area.

I recently purchased the iMac g4 (I know its older) for my 12 year old daughter and it came installed with Leopard 10.5.8

My question is....if I have a 10.5 installation disk can I upgrade to 10.5.8 and if so how lol

I'd like to whipe the system clean and start anew

Thank you and as you can tell from my username....I'm really confused

Thanks again....Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

10.5 is the base. You can update to 10.5.8 once you get it installed, the update is downloadable here

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

Thank you so much sir

One last question and I hope its not offensive, but does it cost?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Nope, minor updates are free.

To explain....

10.5 <--- major version
10.5.x <---- minor version

Sort of like service packs in windows.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_chris View Post
My question is....if I have a 10.5 installation disk can I upgrade to 10.5.8 and if so how lol
Make sure this OS 10.5 disk is the:

- black full install/retail disk
- or it's the ORIGINAL gray disk that came with the computer

If it's a gray OS 10.5 install disk...and you don't know where it came from...10.5 won't install. The gray disks are model specific...and only work with the model Mac it shipped with.

Of course if you have the black OS 10.5 install disk with a big "X" on it...you're fine.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

Oh Wow, I didnt know this. How do I know or find out what model it is? When you say model do you mean....iMac g4? And if not where can I find either disk you're refering to...particullary the black disk?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh Wow, I didnt know this. How do I know or find out what model it is? When you say model do you mean....iMac g4? And if not where can I find either disk you're refering to...particullary the black disk?
The bottom line(s) is/are:

- Is the 10.5 disk you have gray or black (you didn't confirm this in your last post)?
- If gray...where did you get it?
- If it's not the original gray disk that came with the computer...forget about it.
- If this computer already has 10.5.8 on it...and you don't have a black OS 10.5 install disk...DON'T wipe the hard drive.

And FYI...there really should't be a need to wipe the hard drive & reinstall the OS...but I do understand the desire to want to do it.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

I don't have either disk as of yet and the reason I'm looking to do this is that the system I have has an 80GB hard drive but 12G's are already used up by things the previous ower put on it. I don't know which applications/files are safe to remove without removing any of the system required components (I sure hope I worded that right...lol) It looks as if I can pic up the full install disk off of ebay for roughly $100.00 and I really don't want to do this if I don't have to.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I don't have either disk as of yet and the reason I'm looking to do this is that the system I have has an 80GB hard drive but 12G's are already used up by things the previous ower put on it. I don't know which applications/files are safe to remove without removing any of the system required components (I sure hope I worded that right...lol) It looks as if I can pic up the full install disk off of ebay for roughly $100.00 and I really don't want to do this if I don't have to.
Just to confirm what we're working with...what model iMac G4 do you have (primarily need the processor speed)?

As far as the install disk...to get a "black" full retail install disk...yes...it's going to cost you about $100 on e-Bay...maybe less on Craig's List...but they don't show up on CL very often.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen. Click on About This Mac. Tell us what info is listed there. That will help us tell which model the iMac is.
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

It is

Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
Processor 1 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

I was told by another gentleman that if I were to create another user account with administrative rights that I could go in and delete the previous owner's account and this would give me back the memory he used by adding stuff to the system. Is this correct and if so I don't know how to delete his user account.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
It is

Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
Processor 1 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

I was told by another gentleman that if I were to create another user account with administrative rights that I could go in and delete the previous owner's account and this would give me back the memory he used by adding stuff to the system. Is this correct and if so I don't know how to delete his user account.
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to check to see if your iMac G4 meet the min. system requirements for OS 10.5. It does.

As far as the hard drive space. "Memory" is not hard drive space..."memory" is ram (incorrect terminology). Yes...if you delete the previous users programs/files...you will recover hard drive storage space.

Also be aware that the install of OS 10.5 takes up a good amount of hard drive space. You mentioned that 12gig of 80 gig is currently used on your iMac G4's HD. The install of OS 10.5 can take at least 9 gig (and can take up a lot more depending on the install options):

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

...so at least 9 gig (maybe more) of the 12 gig on your iMac G4's HD is just OS 10.5.8.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

ok so knowing i can regain some storage space by deleting the prevoius owners user account, can you tell me please how to delete it? I've already created my user account with administrative rights.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

just delete the account from the system preferences > accounts

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
confused_chris

I've tried doing this and i don't see the option to do so
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to copy SL programs from | Which OS to buy so I have install discs? »