New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Terminal wont open!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tangledmonkey

tangledmonkey is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I recently (couple days ago) upgraded the HDD in my MB from the standard 160GB to a new Samsung 320GB HDD. I used CCC to clone the old hard drive, and all went well. EXCEPT, terminal wont open, so I tried reinstalling it by downloading the latest combo update and installing (update) terminal via Pacifist, but still no joy.

So I've just put my old HDD back into the MB, and it seems that the problem was cloned from the old HDD.

If it makes any difference, I done an archive and install a few weeks ago with the old hard drive, and I havnt used terminal since then, so I dont know if this problem arose before the archive and install, or after.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Do you get an error when you try and launch it? What exactly happens?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Do you get an error when you try and launch it? What exactly happens?
At first, before I attempted to fix it, it would just crash, and I'd get the standard Ignore/Report/Relaunch screen.

Now, nothing at all happens, I click the icon (well there is no icon, just the generic application icon) and nothing happens.

At some point during my attempts to fix it, I was getting an error saying that the application wasnt supported on the architecture.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

depending on the OS I'd be tempted to reinstall.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

I'm on 10.5.8. What would be my best option for doing this.

I'm not sure if this is right, but heres how I imagine it would work.

Basically, I only done this HDD upgrade a couple days ago, and I've got no new important files on this HDD that arent on my old HDD. So I'm guessing I put my old HDD in the enclosure (USB), and have the new one (which is what I am using now, with 10.5.8) in the MB.

Then boot from the Mac OS X Install disc, and erase and install. Then use migration assistant when Mac is installed and running, with the old HDD in the enclosure (USB).

Would that work? How are the files arranged when you use migration assistant, or is it the same as you get with archive and install where you have a previous systems folder?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

A bit of an odd solution but you might want to try the following. Install iTerm and using that, execute the following to see what is reported back as an error when you try to launch Terminal:
Code:
/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal
Hopefully something will be printed back.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

Okay Vansmith, heres the result:
2011-07-10 20:05:21.524 Terminal[265:10b] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

Make any sense to you?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Does the file /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib exist (change the English.lproj folder if you're using a different language of course)? If so, do you have read permissions?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Does the file /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib exist (change the English.lproj folder if you're using a different language of course)? If so, do you have read permissions?
Okay, I looked, and that file doesn't exist there
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

There's your problem - the file, if I know my OS X Cocoa programming, is the file that defines the menus. Since it can't be found, the app crashes since it can't be displayed properly (someone with greater familiarity with Cocoa/IB feel free to correct my newbie technical explanation).

Open up Pacifist, find that file and add it to the folder. Try opening it up again and let's hope that's the only file missing.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I cant find that file anywhere on the OS X install discs, or in the combo update
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It will be inside of the Terminal app bundle as it's part of the Terminal application. So, you won't see it as a separate file.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

On the install disc or the combo update bundle?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If it's in the combo update, try that one. Worst case: it doesn't work and you try the copy from the install disc.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
tangledmonkey

Thanks for your help vansmith! I cant find the file on the install discs or in the combo update though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finding unknown extension files | Emailing photos as .jpg attachments »