Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Unhappy USB webcam malfunction
    Two days ago I accepted an OSX software update to 10.6.8 and since then my Agent 5 USB webcam, functioning perfectly on two favourite websites the day before, stopped functioning and I could only use the default built-in iCam. On a 24"iMac this is much too high up for my comfort. I noted that the webcam monitor was still receiving from Agent 5 as well as iCam. On Skype the Agent 5 USB works. Is this a problem that can be resolved? It is experienced in Safari, Firefox and also Opera.

  2. #2

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
    Two days ago I accepted an OSX software update to 10.6.8 and since then my Agent 5 USB webcam, functioning perfectly on two favourite websites the day before, stopped functioning and I could only use the default built-in iCam. On a 24"iMac this is much too high up for my comfort. I noted that the webcam monitor was still receiving from Agent 5 as well as iCam. On Skype the Agent 5 USB works. Is this a problem that can be resolved? It is experienced in Safari, Firefox and also Opera.
    Do those websites not have an option to choose what camera to use? There had to be a point in the past where you made the choice.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    yes. But now instead of a choice box there is just a blue and white question mark.

  4. #4

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
    yes. But now instead of a choice box there is just a blue and white question mark.
    Hmmm. Try deleting cookies and the browser cache. If you are using Flash, delete the Flash cookies and cache also. Purity can do all this for you.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks very much. I have downloaded Purity and it is running. Fingers crossed. Flash was recently updated so that may be the culprit.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Not sure how to delete Flash cookies and cache. Does that need a further app?

  7. #7

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
    Not sure how to delete Flash cookies and cache. Does that need a further app?
    Nope. It's right there in Purity. Although Flash Player does have a Preference Pane to do it also, in System Preferences.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Gone through the Purity routine. Problem still there. Blue and white questionmark instead of choice of webcam and the questionmark takes me into an Adobe Flash information page that does not provide any answers to the problem as far a I can see.

  9. #9

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
    Gone through the Purity routine. Problem still there. Blue and white questionmark instead of choice of webcam and the questionmark takes me into an Adobe Flash information page that does not provide any answers to the problem as far a I can see.
    Whatever the problem is, it almost certainly is an incompatibility with Flash and 10.6.8. Try Chrome browser. From what I understand, it has Flash embedded, so may not be susceptible to this problem you are having. If this doesn't work out, try uninstalling Flash, then reinstall it (perhaps the last known working version if you updated that also recently). If that doesn't work, try downloading and running the 10.6.8 Update Combo. Sometimes that can help iron out bugs from the regular Software Update process.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    Nothing has worked - indeed in Chrome the webcam does not work at all. Currently on OSX update combo. Fingers crossed! Thanks for sticking with me!

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    OSX Combo downloaded but problem remains! It must be the Adobe Flash update. The small choice window still shows blue and white question mark instead of choice box of default or usb cam. How do I get back to an earlier Flash version?

  12. #12

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
    OSX Combo downloaded but problem remains! It must be the Adobe Flash update. The small choice window still shows blue and white question mark instead of choice box of default or usb cam. How do I get back to an earlier Flash version?
    Good question. I just used the preference pane item for Flash to check for an update. You'd think it could self-update like any other app, but nooooo. It takes me to a web page that then checks it for me. Even then, it doesn't outright tell me that I'm outdated, though I am. Bah. So how to get an older version… hmmmm…

    Well what version do you have? The current one is 10.3.181.34. If you have older than that, go ahead and update to that.
    Adobe - Flash Player

    If you do have that, then uninstall what you have, then reboot.
    Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS,
    The installer for Flash should have come with an uninstaller also.

    You can get an older version from here:
    Archived Flash Player versions
    Be sure you have rebooted before installing.

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2011
    Posts
    8
    The Flash version installed is 10.3.181.34. This is causing the continuing trouble. My Agent 5 USB cam works well on iChat, MSN, Yahoo and Skype. But not on the chat website I use. Guess I may have to cough up cash and use telephone advice. I tried to download an archived version from a few months ago but I guess I became lost in the instructions and could not effect the download. I am most grateful for all the help and advice. An annoying bug!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. USB Video Class webcam YUY2 no video
    By Boozer in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 02:49 PM
  2. Setting up USB webcam
    By imme in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
  3. USB webcam problem
    By TechFlash in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 11:55 PM
  4. Question about Webcam usage with External Webcam
    By markwco in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 01:29 AM
  5. usb webcam low fps
    By lightheart in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •