Thread: Recover files

Recover files

Recover files
    when i was tried to change the administrator password and now it appears that all of my files (iTunes, photos & documents) are missing. any chance to recover these files? Thanks

Recover files
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo View Post
    when i was tried to change the administrator password and now it appears that all of my files (iTunes, photos & documents) are missing. any chance to recover these files? Thanks
    Unlikely you actually deleted the files.

Three quick things to try:
    1) Look to see if you have created a duplicate user account. 2) look for a folder titled "Old System".
    3) also possible that all you did was create new, empty iTunes and iPhoto libraries within your user account. Anyway, you should be able to locate them in Finder.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Recover files
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Sounds like you changed the name of the administrator ACCOUNT, not the password.

To be blunt, this will be a right mess to fix if I'm correct about what has happened. The only good news I can give you is that your data is still on the machine somewhere, but putting things back the way you had them will be a nightmare. I'd highly recommend seeking out a Mac tech *with experience with this problem* to have them restore things.

If you used Time Machine regularly, you could also just erase the drive and start over from a TM backup before you changed the admin name, which would be a lot easier (but would lose any new files created since the disaster of course).

Thread Information