New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OSX Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evangelist6589

evangelist6589 has a spectacular aura about

I hear that it will not support Rosetta. This will mean that all my old PPC apps will be unusable. Is this true about Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Replacement for Rosetta in Lion?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As Apple reported PPC applications will not be supported in Lion, guess it has been disabled. Part of the push towards updating no doubt.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The last PPC Mac was made in 2005 (or possibly early 2006), and developers were warned an entire YEAR earlier that PPC support was on its way out.

The problem here isn't Apple, and is unlikely to be the developer. The problem is in 99% of these cases firmly with the user.

[ADDED] Also, it should be mentioned just in case there's a misunderstanding; only non-universal PPC apps will be affected by upgrading to Lion. Everything I run that has PPC code in it went universal years ago, so if you've done ANY updating of those PPC apps over the last few years chances are high that they will run. Old unsupported stuff like AppleWorks, on the other hand, won't.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not all universal apps will work. One that I can think of (MS Office 2008) uses Rosetta for initial installation. Why MS did that is beyond me...

Anyway, it appears if Office 2008 is already installed and an upgrade to Lion is accomplished, there should be no problem. However, if it should ever require a reinstall....? The solution is to buy Office 2011 which does not require Rosetta.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Anyway, it appears if Office 2008 is already installed and an upgrade to Lion is accomplished, there should be no problem.
I thought the same until I checked the RoaringApps compatibility list and saw this page for Office 2008. It seems to imply that the major apps work except for some of the "supporting apps" (is that something like MyDay?). It would seem then that there are more issues with 2008 than we initially thought. Glad I upgraded to 2011 here!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I thought the same until I checked the RoaringApps compatibility list and saw this page for Office 2008. It seems to imply that the major apps work except for some of the "supporting apps" (is that something like MyDay?). It would seem then that there are more issues with 2008 than we initially thought. Glad I upgraded to 2011 here!
Thanks for that Van. I was wondering about 2008 also since it came with my iMac. I am pretty sure I can get the Major parts to work for now. Guess I will get a Home/Student edition of 2011 down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
evangelist6589

evangelist6589 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The last PPC Mac was made in 2005 (or possibly early 2006), and developers were warned an entire YEAR earlier that PPC support was on its way out.

The problem here isn't Apple, and is unlikely to be the developer. The problem is in 99% of these cases firmly with the user.

[ADDED] Also, it should be mentioned just in case there's a misunderstanding; only non-universal PPC apps will be affected by upgrading to Lion. Everything I run that has PPC code in it went universal years ago, so if you've done ANY updating of those PPC apps over the last few years chances are high that they will run. Old unsupported stuff like AppleWorks, on the other hand, won't.
Okay so you have money to spare from your good paying career to dish out to people less fortunate to be able to buy the latest versions? I am still running Office 2004 and as it stands will not be upgrading to LION as its not Rosetta compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
Johnathan.Lyman

Johnathan.Lyman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

I have to agree with you, there. At some point, you need to let go and move on. I have a hard time being one version behind on my software, let alone using software runs on 6 year old codebase. >.>

And to evan, you really need to look at it from points of view of Apple and software developers. There comes a point in which supporting legacy code is not beneficial to the function, business model, and or financial model of your software or operating system. Eventually, it will end up costing more to support it than it is worth. I am surprised it lasted 6 years. And unless I am missing something, you spent a decent amount of cash on your mac, right? did you spend it all and forget upgrade your software or find current alternatives?

-- Johnathan Lyman

** Disclaimer: Even though I work for Google, Inc., my opinions, statements, and or suggestions do not reflect the views or positions of my employer. **
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I've got Office 2011, but it appears that Word and Powerpoint will still work in Office 2008. Although I'm a bit confused over what they're referring to as supporting apps?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Thanks for that Van. I was wondering about 2008 also since it came with my iMac. I am pretty sure I can get the Major parts to work for now. Guess I will get a Home/Student edition of 2011 down the road.
No worries. I'm sure if you upgrade, Office 2008 will be fine as chscag noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I've got Office 2011, but it appears that Word and Powerpoint will still work in Office 2008. Although I'm a bit confused over what they're referring to as supporting apps?
I have no idea either but I'm guessing it has to be apps like MyDay and other apps that are additions to the "main" apps.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As soon as I get lion installed I will report back on 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

After a quick search, I found two interesting bits in this thread: the "Microsoft Query" application in Excel (I have no idea what that is) is a PPC app so that won't run regardless of whether or not you already have it installed when you upgrade and according to one poster, 2008 is having issues running on the GM build of Lion (they weren't specific though).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
feralicious

feralicious is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
There's Open Office for free. OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

I use that on my PC and it's great. I think I used a Mac version years ago, but I don't use it on Macs that much since I generally do my editing work on the Mac and use my PC laptop on the side for all the database stuff. I would think it's okay for Lion since it's had plenty of revisions but I don't know for sure.

You just have to remember to save your files as Microsoft files if you are going to send them to anyone. No big deal. I'm not a power user of Office but I think it does most, if not all, the things Office can do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« searching for files with specific extension | New MacBook pro 13" did erase free space now 'no harddrive space' error :/ »