New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems after update to OS X 10.6.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mjleedam

mjleedam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I am a relative newbie to macs and this is the first problem I have encountered.

I was prompted to upgrade the OS X yesterday to 10.6.8 so this I did.

During the process I was prompted to perform a manual restart by holding down the power button and then restarting.

Following the restart, I got an error message: Finder quit unexpectedly.
On clicking "OK" the same error window appears ad infinitum (actually, I got fed up clicking after about 30 tries).

Most programs won't load; and in the ones that do, I can't type any text as the error box takes priority for text entry.

I have tried reinstalling from the supplied CD, but because Finder won't load I can't access any CD files.

The error box even takes priority over the terminal window.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Hopefully you were smart enough to have a Time Machine backup (at the very least). A clone of your drive would also be smart for instances like this. It's rare that an OS update would cause such trouble, but in the event it does, you can restore from your backup(s).
If you do not have a backup, ask the person nearest you to punch you, then insert the SL DVD into your Mac, restart and hold "C" until it boots from the DVD. You'll have to go through the whole process of reinstalling the OS (this is why it's such a good idea to have T.M. backups and a clone of your drive).

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you are able too download the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo download and then re-install.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mjleedam

mjleedam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

The reinstall of the OS from disc worked fine and then the Auto Update brought down the combined version which has also installed okay.

My arm is sore from the person next door coz I didn't have a TM backup, however, my docs n things are stored on a separate drive. Phew!

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
If you do not have a backup, ask the person nearest you to punch you, ...
I liked that advice

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't delete back up from time machine | HTTP.system (com.plexapp.agents.localmedia) - wtf? »