Can't change System Pref Login Items
    I am on a Macbook running OS X 10.5.8. Whenever I boot up there are several programs that start automatically such as Skype, Itunes, ect. I changed the settings by deleting these programs in 'system preferences/accounts/login items' and everything seems ok but when I restart my macbook all the programs still auto start and my 'login items' don't show the changes I just made. I am the only User on this computer and I use the lock/unlock button with password as prompted to make these changes. I have also run both 'disk verify/repair and disk permissions verify/repair' with disk utility but with no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Welcome to the Mac Forums.

After making the changes in System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items, make sure you close the lock. Then go to your Dock... Right click on the iTunes icon, Skype icon, whatever, and select options. From options, turn off "Open at Login". That should do it.

Hey chscag, Well I followed all the same steps as before: system preferences/accounts/login items, unlocked the lock, deleted all the 'open at login' items and locked the lock. Then I right clicked the Skype icon on the dock but the 'open at login' preference was not checked. So just to be sure, I checked it then unchecked it then restarted the computer. I'm not sure why or how, but not just Skype, but ALL of the items I deleted from the login preferences stayed deleted this time. I am now a very happy mac user, thanks again.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I think the reason why it didn't work the first time is because you were not closing the lock. If you leave that lock open, the changes sometimes will not save. Anyway, glad you got it solved.

Thread Information