New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX Tiger -keep continue to use


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Hello there,

OS Tiger 10.4.11 continue to use


I've been using Mac OSX Tiger and I sometimes reinstall Operating System from Recovery Discs. Just a few days ago I reinstalled and reformatted HDD from OSX Tiger recovery discs. Then I downloaded software patches to keep the OSX Tiger as latest version. I also use iPod shuffle the second and third generation. When I tried to connect iPod Shuffle, the machine asked me to upgrade itunes version 8. However I think version 8 was upgraded automatically online basis before ? Anyway, I searched it on the net and upgraded to iTunes version 8. Then I encountered funny messages that I should upgrade to iTunes version 10 and I couldn't access to iTunes store. As everybody aware that iTunes version10 doesn't work on Mac OSX Tiger. I considered then I tried install iTunes version 9 from Apple official site how see it works. I could successfully connect to iTunes store from OSX Tiger 10.4.11 with iTunes version 9.2.1

I could keep continue to use Mac OSX Tiger, iPod Shuffles the second and third generation.




Its not a long way to reach how fix the problem and there isn't necessary special technical knowledge but I needed to update my knowledge base on Apple computer's Operating Systems.

Firefox Browser : I deleted


Regarding Firefox browser, they don't support Mac OSX 10.4.11 anymore so it is no way. Anyone know similar browser ? Thx

Yahoo Messenger: I deleted

I am curious that Yahoo Messenger doesn't support OSX 10.4.11 or from all apple computer Operating Systems ? They require identification code each time and I can't see the list of users of the chat room of Yahoo Messenger. Its very funny phenomenon.... I closed all Yahoo accounts and left there. Anyone knows what happened ?

Well, I've been using ICQ from earlier days so I am very happy to chat in there. My ICQ number is 608290546.

Thx
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

 
toMACsh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,554
toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

toMACsh is offline
Aren't all browsers "similar"? See link for a list of Mac compatible browsers.

Pure Mac: Web Browsers - Software for Macintosh
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 7,003
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
I've been using Mac OSX Tiger and I sometimes reinstall Operating System from Recovery Discs.
Why? That's rarely necessary, and never as some sort of a habitual, preventative measure.

Quote:
Just a few days ago I reinstalled and reformatted HDD from OSX Tiger recovery discs. Then I downloaded software patches to keep the OSX Tiger as latest version. I also use iPod shuffle the second and third generation. When I tried to connect iPod Shuffle, the machine asked me to upgrade itunes version 8. However I think version 8 was upgraded automatically online basis before ? Anyway, I searched it on the net and upgraded to iTunes version 8. Then I encountered funny messages that I should upgrade to iTunes version 10 and I couldn't access to iTunes store. As everybody aware that iTunes version10 doesn't work on Mac OSX Tiger. I considered then I tried install iTunes version 9 from Apple official site how see it works. I could successfully connect to iTunes store from OSX Tiger 10.4.11 with iTunes version 9.2.1
Why aren't you just using the "Software Update" function from the Apple menu? That will get you completely up-to-date with Tiger, iTunes, and everything else in OS X.

Quote:
Its not a long way to reach how fix the problem and there isn't necessary special technical knowledge but I needed to update my knowledge base on Apple computer's Operating Systems.
If you want to use iTunes 10, you need to upgrade to Leopard if you can. Better yet… Snow Leopard if you can.

Quote:
Regarding Firefox browser, they don't support Mac OSX 10.4.11 anymore so it is no way. Anyone know similar browser ? Thx
If your Mac is PPC:
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

If your Mac is Intel, try Firefox 3.6:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Aren't all browsers "similar"? See link for a list of Mac compatible browsers.

Pure Mac: Web Browsers - Software for Macintosh


Thank you very much for the useful link. I was completely misunderstanding with something noted on the Firefox website. I downloaded the version 3.6.15 above site and installed to my Macintosh.

Thx

QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Why? That's rarely necessary.....

Depends on how we use a computer in general, I think. While we are using computer, we install and delete application softwares and unnecessary files are accumulated in the computer. For that reason, I reinstall and reformat HDD drive from recovery disks once a year or so.


Software Update....

This time I thought we can get everything we need running OSX Tiger from "Software Update" function but Itunes 8 and 9 were missing and I had a trouble for installing iTunes. I hope it will be fixed soon on this regard. However if we come across on this issue, we install iTunes 8 and/or 9 separately and keep continue to use OSX Tiger.


If you want to use iTunes 10....

Yeah. I agree with you. I am thinking next step like upgrading the Operating System or replacing hardware when the machine has fatal error for recovering.

Thx

I am newbie here... I don't know how to use the quote function..

QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Why? That's rarely necessary, and never as some sort of a habitual, preventative measure.



Why aren't you just using the "Software Update" function from the Apple menu? That will get you completely up-to-date with Tiger, iTunes, and everything else in OS X.



If you want to use iTunes 10, you need to upgrade to Leopard if you can. Better yet… Snow Leopard if you can.



If your Mac is PPC:
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

If your Mac is Intel, try Firefox 3.6:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6
Thanks for the Firefox 3.6 version!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 7,003
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
Why? That's rarely necessary.....

Depends on how we use a computer in general, I think. While we are using computer, we install and delete softwares and unnecessary files are accumulated in the computer. For that reason, I reinstall and reformat HDD drive from recovery disks once a year or so.
Do you have reason to believe you do anything that I and the majority of users here aren't doing? Periodically reinstalling OS X is not done or recommended by any regular contributor in these forums, or elsewhere. That's a habit formed from using Windows and it's time to break away from that line of thought. There are plenty of threads that discuss this.

Quote:
Software Update....

This time I thought we can get everything we need running OSX Tiger from "Software Update" function but Itunes 8 and 9 were missing and I had a trouble for installing iTunes. I hope it will be fixed soon on this regard. However if we come across on this issue, we install iTunes 9 separately and keep continue to use OSX Tiger.
You should be able to. iTunes itself should even prompt you to update itself. Don't expect any fixes. Apple has been done with Tiger now for what… 4 years?


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Do you have reason to believe you do anything that I and the majority of users here aren't doing? Periodically reinstalling OS X is not done or recommended by any regular contributor in these forums, or elsewhere. That's a habit formed from using Windows and it's time to break away from that line of thought. There are plenty of threads that discuss this.


You should be able to. iTunes itself should even prompt you to update itself. Don't expect any fixes. Apple has been done with Tiger now for what… 4 years?
Thank you very much for the kind suggestion and I understand it.

I am very happy to know how I keep continue using Mac OSX Tiger as it is with iPod Shuffles the second and third generation. It is good for me.

Thx
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

 
toMACsh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,554
toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

toMACsh is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
I am newbie here... I don't know how to use the quote function..
Like that.

If you want to quote one post, click the Quote button at the bottom of that post. If you want to quote more than one, click the Quote+ button for each one. You can then edit them to delete things you're not responding to.

you can add "quote" and "/quote" inside [square brackets] to stop and start a lengthy quote and place your comments in between. Hit the quote button and you'll see what I mean. Those commands will be at the beginning and end, respectively.
QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Like that.

If you want to quote one post, click the Quote button at the bottom of that post. If you want to quote more than one, click the Quote+ button for each one. You can then edit them to delete things you're not responding to.
I see.... Let me try.



Quote:
you can add "quote" and "/quote" inside [square brackets] to stop and start a lengthy quote and place your comments in between. Hit the quote button and you'll see what I mean. Those commands will be at the beginning and end, respectively.
ah.. i understand.

Thx

QUOTE Thanks
jagardn

 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2011
Posts: 19
jagardn will become famous soon enough

jagardn is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
Depends on how we use a computer in general, I think. While we are using computer, we install and delete application softwares and unnecessary files are accumulated in the computer. For that reason, I reinstall and reformat HDD drive from recovery disks once a year or so.
The files left behind from dragging apps to the trash are only a few KB, you would literally have to trash hundreds of apps to see any difference in your disk usage. Most large software suites come with un-installers anyway.

If you would pay $12.95 for App Zapper it would save you the hassle of re-installing your OS every year.
QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
The files left behind from dragging apps to the trash are only a few KB, you would literally have to trash hundreds of apps to see any difference in your disk usage. Most large software suites come with un-installers anyway.
ah... I see, I understand it.


Quote:
If you would pay $12.95 for App Zapper it would save you the hassle of re-installing your OS every year.
I will consider it. Thank you very much for your kind help,

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 7,003
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
If you would pay $12.95 for App Zapper it would save you the hassle of re-installing your OS every year.
AppCleaner is free and is just as good as App Zapper, though neither of those, or any app uninstaller I've seen, does a completely thorough job. Then there's AppTrap, which is simpler to use. Drop an app in the trash, and AppTrap prompts you to delete the associated files. Free.
QUOTE Thanks
Goody

 
Goody's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2010
Posts: 13
Goody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1gig Memory, iPod Shuffle the First and Second generation

Goody is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
AppCleaner is free and is just as good as App Zapper, though neither of those, or any app uninstaller I've seen, does a completely thorough job. Then there's AppTrap, which is simpler to use. Drop an app in the trash, and AppTrap prompts you to delete the associated files. Free.
I installed and I tired how it works. Excellent, it works well. Thanks for your kindness.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« OSX Trackpad Chinese Handwriting appears only on first Space | safari vs Chrome browser »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Serious mac problem, advice! Mac Osx (Tiger) Neil79 OS X - Operating System 4 03-22-2011 01:09 PM
HELP PLEASE!!!! OSX Tiger re-install, won't go beyond disc 2 MacTavish84 OS X - Operating System 8 02-21-2011 06:38 PM
Intel iMac (Yonah) Core Duo OSX Tiger discs jerry12 OS X - Operating System 3 02-20-2011 01:24 AM
I need help with an emac after failed osx tiger install error Hustlepayepr Apple Desktops 3 07-12-2009 10:55 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?