New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unlock causes application to hang

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

perboeggild

perboeggild is on a distinguished road

I have a newly bought iMac with OS X 10.6.8

When I try to unlock to make changes (eg. changing accounts, installing SW etc) the application hangs with the beachball spinning and I have to manually terminate the application (which is in state "not responding")

Any ideas what to do? Otherwise everything functions ok.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Can you tell us how you're installing the applications? I'm not sure what you mean by "unlock to make changes". If you're the administrator you should be able to install an application without changing accounts.

Installing an application on a Mac is straight forward. Normally an application either comes with an installer, or it may be just a .DMG file that you've downloaded. Can you be more specific as to exactly what it is you're doing and which applications are you trying to install?
QUOTE Thanks
perboeggild

perboeggild is on a distinguished road

I really mean "unable to unlock". When I am in the account settings menu as administrator and I want to make changes, I click the lock and the menu hangs with the beachball turning and I have to abort it manually.

I guess it is the same problem when I try to install applications (eg. virtualbox, monodevelop) from .dmg: there should appear an administrator password menu but the install hangs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FAT partition on USB stick not recognized on Win7 (other part. is OS Ext. (Journaled) | Can I switch off journalling on a journalled volume? »