New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac G4 Help Needed!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edlan97

edlan97 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I've never had a Mac before, and I am currently on a PC right now so please humor me. I recently got an iMac G4 from my friend. It came with all these Mac Leopard discs and things and it came with everything it might need. I think she might have erased everything off of it cause when it turns on it flashes the Mac apple thing and loads for a minute and then goes black and says
disk059:I/0emr
Jul 1 19:10:51 39 launchd can't exec/bin/sh for single user: input/output error
and that's it. I have like Mac Leopard discs and everything I just don't know what to do. I read online that the disc drive should be one where you can just slide in the disc, but on mine it has a drive that has to come out itself.
Update: I got the disk drive to come out by using this on the Mac website, I put the disc in and it still doesn't work even after I tried holding down the c key when I was supposed to. Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

'day and welcome to the forums.

To put Leopard on the iMac, it needs to be faster than 867MHz, and the install discs need to be black and not silver/grey discs which are extremely model specific. Does it load any operating system? If so go into System Preferences, pop in the Leopard disc, and under Startup Disc, select the Leopard DVD and reboot.

If not and you cannot boot from the Leopard disc, either it is the wrong type of disc or the optical drive may have failed which is a common fault with iMacs.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
'day and welcome to the forums.

To put Leopard on the iMac, it needs to be faster than 867MHz, and the install discs need to be black and not silver/grey discs which are extremely model specific. Does it load any operating system? If so go into System Preferences, pop in the Leopard disc, and under Startup Disc, select the Leopard DVD and reboot.

If not and you cannot boot from the Leopard disc, either it is the wrong type of disc or the optical drive may have failed which is a common fault with iMacs.
Thanks for the help. Uh, I really don't know...I made a video of what it does when I try to boot it up: YouTube - ‪iMac G4 HELP NEEDED!!‬‏ That's all that it will do. Can you tell whats wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

First off, it's booting to the 1st boot screen with just the Apple then moving on to the 2nd with the spinning circle.

Second, that box you held up is Snow Leopard and not Leopard. Snow Leopard is INTEL ONLY! Your machine a G4 which is a Power PC CPU. Snow Leopard will NOT run on a Power PC CPU. Is that the only OSX DVD that came with the machine? I am shocked it even gets that far in the boot.

Depending on the model iMac, you need either Leopard (If it's a G4 867 Mhz or higher), or if it's an older and slower G4, you need Tiger.

Can you look on the base and see if you can find the label with the Specs? Tell us the CPU. Can you take a close up picture of the DVD and also the Box you held in that video?

There is no way you can ever boot on that Power PC from the Snow leopard DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
First off, it's booting to the 1st boot screen with just the Apple then moving on to the 2nd with the spinning circle.

Second, that box you held up is Snow Leopard and not Leopard. Snow Leopard is INTEL ONLY! Your machine a G4 which is a Power PC CPU. Snow Leopard will NOT run on a Power PC CPU. Is that the only OSX DVD that came with the machine? I am shocked it even gets that far in the boot.

Depending on the model iMac, you need either Leopard (If it's a G4 867 Mhz or higher), or if it's an older and slower G4, you need Tiger.

Can you look on the base and see if you can find the label with the Specs? Tell us the CPU. Can you take a close up picture of the DVD and also the Box you held in that video?

How do I find the CPU? Which number is it?
I took some pictures, I have lots of discs. Just let me upload them.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since you can not boot into a working OS, look on the bottom of the base for a little label with the specs. If that is still intact it will give the CPU specs as well as RAM it shipped with and other specs.

Also how large is the LCD? 15"? 17'?

Waiting for the pics.
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:

Update: Here, I took pictures of the three discs. I still don't know how to find the CPU thingy.
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:
Since you can not boot into a working OS, look on the bottom of the base for a little label with the specs. If that is still intact it will give the CPU specs as well as RAM it shipped with and other specs.

Also how large is the LCD? 15"? 17'?

Waiting for the pics.
I uploaded them but it said a Moderator or something had to approve it first.
There I just put them in.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Got the pics. That first one is Snow Leopard. That will in no way install on that old Non Intel iMac. The 2nd looks like the CD that came with the iMac. It's Gray. Have you tried that CD in the drive holding down C?

Please look for that Spec label on the base of the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:
Got the pics. That first one is Snow Leopard. That will in no way install on that old Non Intel iMac. The 2nd looks like the CD that came with the iMac. It's Gray. Have you tried that CD in the drive holding down C?

Please look for that Spec label on the base of the machine.
Okay, I tried putting the disc in and then I rebooted it and held down C but then it just did what it always does. I pushed down C after the tone and held it down until the little Apple popped up, did I let go too soon?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What did it do? Same as booting from the hard drive? That error message?

No you did it right, You press the C right after the Startup Sound and keep it down till the first screen with Apple comes up.
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:
What did it do? Same as booting from the hard drive? That error message?

No you did it right, You press the C right after the Startup Sound and keep it down till the first screen with Apple comes up.
Yeah, it did the same thing it did in the video. D:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Were you able to find that Specs label? I have seen a few of the G4's like that and they did have it somewhere on the base of the machine.

That boot screen at the end is showing Safe Mode. Interesting even the Gray DVD is booting in that mode.
QUOTE Thanks
edlan97

Quote:
Were you able to find that Specs label? I have seen a few of the G4's like that and they did have it somewhere on the base of the machine.

That boot screen at the end is showing Safe Mode. Interesting even the Gray DVD is booting in that mode.
There is something on the bottom, it says Serial Number and a bunch of letters and number
a row below it just with letters and numbers
and then one below it that says Ethernet and I think some numbers.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Can you post the numbers there and what they say by them? I might be able to find something on what model you have.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wakes up during "sleep" | Login background »