New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.6.8 interrupted

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RunningMac

RunningMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo, 3MB Ram

My install was interrupted, now when it boots it won't load the finder. I did not use time machine, is there anyway to boot via the install disk and reinstall the update that i downloaded to a flash drive.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The only way I know out of your problem is probably insert the 10.6 DVD that you used ti install Snow Leopard and do a reinstall. With SL default is Upgrade so you will not loose any of your files and settings, but you will have to rerun all the updates when it's done.

One thing you could try as I am sure it will not hurt, is first boot into the OSX DVD and run Disk Utility from the Utilities drop down up top. Repair permissions. Probably will not work since you interrupted the update, but worth a quick try.
QUOTE Thanks
RunningMac

i tried repair permissions but it did not work... i guess the reinstall is next thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

MancmacUK is on a distinguished road

My 10.6.8 upgrade was interrupted, iMac ok but a few niggles.

I re-installed 10.6.3 from disc, cured my problems

 iMac 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
RunningMac

So, I had to step away for a few days and I tried to reinstall this afternoon form the SL DVD. It's doing the same thing... It loads to the desktop, then goes back to the grey screen and the cog turns, back to the desktop, back to the grey screen and cog. Do I have to reformat and go from scratch?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes. That's what dtravis7 meant when he told you to reinstall with your Snow Leopard DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
RunningMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes. That's what dtravis7 meant when he told you to reinstall with your Snow Leopard DVD.
I got the impression from dtravis7 that I would not have to reformat the HD and start from scratch

"...With SL default is Upgrade so you will not loose any of your files and settings, but you will have to rerun all the updates when it's done."

But since I have reinstalled as an upgrade and it is still not working, I will have to reformat, lose everything and start from scratch?

There is no way for me to go into terminal or boot from the DVD so I can see the desktop and run the upgrade that I have on a flash drive and see if that will fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What I suggested is what you did. If that did not work, either there is an issue with the hard drive or some other hardware, or a config (plist) file is messed up which the upgrade is still using. It's rare when the upgrade does not fix it.

Don't remember but have you run Apple Hardware test as yet?
QUOTE Thanks
RunningMac

I have, there were no issues found, I suspect that it is a config file that is damaged and the upgrade is not overwriting it...
Any other thoughts or, do I start from scratch?
QUOTE Thanks
RunningMac

My MBP originally came with 10.4.8, my gut tells me the answer to this question is no but, would that do anything for me?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Not sure I understand....? You're trying to upgrade from 10.4.8 to 10.6.8 using the Snow Leopard upgrade disk? If you are, it won't work. You need to do a clean install which means erase, reformat, and then install Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question About Disk Utility/Repairing Permissions | Keyboard and Mouse driver trouble (10.7 Lion) »