New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Login background

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alice1

alice1 is on a distinguished road

I've followed a number of different instructions on changing the login background in OS X 10.5.8, including manual methods and programs like Loginox. All have been "successful" in changing from the default Aurora image. However, my problem is that Mac OS isn't displaying any background. The login screen background is only the boring, default solid blue. Any help is much appreciated!

~Alice
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice1 View Post
I've followed a number of different instructions on changing the login background in OS X 10.5.8, including manual methods and programs like Loginox. All have been "successful" in changing from the default Aurora image. However, my problem is that Mac OS isn't displaying any background. The login screen background is only the boring, default solid blue. Any help is much appreciated!

~Alice
Are you talking about on the Desktop, after logging in? Right-click on the Desktop, select Change Desktop Background. Do the obvious from there.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This method might be worth a try if you haven't already Change the Mac Login Screen Background. If it does not work it should be easy to put things back as long as you remember to copy the background file mentioned in the article.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's possible that the permissions on the file are incorrect. Well, first off, make sure the picture is named "DefaultDesktop.jpg" and is in fact a JPEG. If that's the case, let us know what the permissions on the file are (right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Feh. It seems I may have mis-interpreted the OP's case. I long ago changed my login background using a tip similar to what Slydude suggested, and it comes up fine. Interestingly, I just now tried to change it a few times using software that is supposed to do this for me… and it resulted with just the blue screen. Manually swapping it out should still work, but I am wondering if you must use a jpg whose size matches your monitor's native resolution. (EDIT: Never mind… I answered my own question… it doesn't have to match)

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
alice1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
try if you haven't already Change the Mac Login Screen Background.
That was the first method I tried. I used those very instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Interestingly, I just now tried to change it a few times using software that is supposed to do this for me… and it resulted with just the blue screen. Manually swapping it out should still work, but I am wondering if you must use a jpg whose size matches your monitor's native resolution. (EDIT: Never mind… I answered my own question… it doesn't have to match)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's possible that the permissions on the file are incorrect. Well, first off, make sure the picture is named "DefaultDesktop.jpg" and is in fact a JPEG. If that's the case, let us know what the permissions on the file are (right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions).
Like I said above, changing it the manual way was the first thing I tried. I saved the image from Photoshop. I've gone thru the process again. It is definitely a jpg. Color profile is not embedded, and the resolution is set exactly to my screen resolution (1280x800 @ 72 dpi). Yes, the name is "DefaultDesktop.jpg".

The permissions are as follows: "You have custom access". Me: Read & Write. wheel: Read only. everyone: Read only.

INTERESTING UPDATE: After logging in and then logging out (not restarting), the background image works. It appears the only time it doesn't work is on a fresh boot/reboot.

Also, after changing the file back to the original, not even that shows up. I don't know if it was working previously because I never used the login prompt. I only enabled it after manually swapping out the background file using the method Slydude mentioned. Could that have something to do with the problem?

~Alice
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice1 View Post
INTERESTING UPDATE: After logging in and then logging out (not restarting), the background image works. It appears the only time it doesn't work is on a fresh boot/reboot.

Also, after changing the file back to the original, not even that shows up. I don't know if it was working previously because I never used the login prompt. I only enabled it after manually swapping out the background file using the method Slydude mentioned. Could that have something to do with the problem?

~Alice
Hold on a sec… do you boot straight into a user account, or do you get a login window first? That picture only shows up if you are on the login screen, not while booting.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
alice1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Hold on a sec… do you boot straight into a user account, or do you get a login window first? That picture only shows up if you are on the login screen, not while booting.
I boot to the login window.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G4 Help Needed! | Network HD and iTunes Folder »