New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.6.8 update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gramma

Gramma is on a distinguished road

Since I updated yesterday, my iMac has frozen 3 times. Mouse works, but has no effect. Nothing to do but press the button to shut down. Anyone else have this problem since updating?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramma View Post
Since I updated yesterday, my iMac has frozen 3 times. Mouse works, but has no effect. Nothing to do but press the button to shut down. Anyone else have this problem since updating?
Not I or most of us. I recommend manually downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo. This often will resolve issues introduced when updating via the built-in updater.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Gramma

Thanks. I'll give that a shot!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Report back if that fixes it. I have had no issues at all with two Macs with the 10.6.8 update.
QUOTE Thanks
Gramma

My computer froze again during the download. Sigh... It finally finished. It's a HUGE file. It may not finish updating before I have to go to work. Will post again ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkG318

MarkG318 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to give this a try and see if it fixes my problem. I have a Boxee Box which worked perfect before the update...after the update it can't play a single file off my mac. NOT happy.
QUOTE Thanks
Gramma

I did download and install the combo update. So far, NO freezes. That seems to have fixed the issue. THANK you all!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MarkG318

unfortunately it didn't to the trick for me. Still not working with my Boxee Box. Is there any way to undo the upgrade without time machine? :/
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG318 View Post
unfortunately it didn't to the trick for me. Still not working with my Boxee Box. Is there any way to undo the upgrade without time machine? :/
Nope. Apparently you aren't the only one with that prob. Methinks Boxee needs to update their device.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkG318

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Nope. Apparently you aren't the only one with that prob. Methinks Boxee needs to update their device.
ya, i've seen a few others mention it as well. Seems like something Apple did on purpose to screw with Boxee. Glad consumers get to pay the price.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG318 View Post
ya, i've seen a few others mention it as well. Seems like something Apple did on purpose to screw with Boxee. Glad consumers get to pay the price.
Take off the tin foil hat already.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
MarkG318

Quote:
Take off the tin foil hat already.
the sky is falling, the sky is falling!
QUOTE Thanks
feralicious

feralicious is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-

Quote:
Not I or most of us. I recommend manually downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo. This often will resolve issues introduced when updating via the built-in updater.
I saw that there were two different downloads, one was the combo. What is the difference? Wasn't sure which to get. I'm running 10.6.7 atm.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious View Post
I saw that there were two different downloads, one was the combo. What is the difference? Wasn't sure which to get. I'm running 10.6.7 atm.

Thanks.
Both links are for the same file.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
feralicious

feralicious is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-

Quote:
Both links are for the same file.
Sorry, I didn't mean from the links in this thread... I meant that earlier, on the apple site, I saw a "regular" update and a combo update and was wondering what the difference is other than file size? I didn't see any explanation there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac computer freezing | Getting a blue screen »