New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

? about transferring files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

packm

packm is on a distinguished road

I am new to this forum and new to mac. I like it all except for the os differences. I use to have a Dell and set up my external western digital 1tb hd on it. Well I had a roommate and his dog broke my dell so i bought a macbook pro and want to keep adding files to the hd. i have downloaded the ntfs-3g and macfuse to help with this problem. I have safely closed the hd on a windows computer and i keep getting the NTFS-3G could not mount sign. just to clear up it says:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1 at /Volumes/My Book because the following problem occurred:

/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs/kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kexutil(8). the MacFUSE file system is not available (71)

Can anyone help me???? PLEASE
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forum.

Someone else may be able to help you debug NTFS3g and MacFUSE but personally I'd invest in Paragon NTFS or you could try the free NTFSMounter

It would also help if you added to your post and/or your profile which model of Mac (specifically) you have and which version of OSX.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
packm

I have the MacBook Pro with the i7 processor and im using the os-x
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by packm View Post
I have the MacBook Pro with the i7 processor and im using the os-x
By version of OS, what was meant was 10.5 or 10.6 etc.

Assume since you have the i7 MacBook Pro that you are running 10.6

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
packm

haha wow i feel dumb. sorry im new to mac and do not know how to check and see which one it is. but i just bought the mac so im sure its 10.6
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by packm View Post
haha wow i feel dumb. sorry im new to mac and do not know how to check and see which one it is. but i just bought the mac so im sure its 10.6
If you click on the Apple in the menu bar and go down to About this Mac it will give you the OS version among other information. But 10.6 is almost certain to be what you are running.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
packm

thanks ill check it when i get home
QUOTE Thanks
packm

10.6.8 is my os. also could someone help me cuz when i downloaded the ntfs mount it says it cant find any ntfs volume. what do i do
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you using the 64bit kernel by any chance? Fuse, which is used by NTFS-3G does not support the 64bit kernel. See here for more info. If the information there is correct, the newer Macs default to the 64bit kernel.

You have a few options here:
1. Try the unofficial MacFuse build listed on that page.
2. Copy the files from that HD somewhere else, reformat the drive with either the FAT or HFS+ filesystem (go with FAT if you want Windows compatibility) and copy everything back to the HD afterwards.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« a confused newbie | Lion »