New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Where to buy OSX 10.5 with license (UK)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SteveLites

SteveLites is on a distinguished road

I'm still running 10.2.8 on my 2003 Powerbook. I just replaced the hard drive myself Easy, but finding a copy of 10.5 Leopard seems to be harder. Where do I get a licensed copy for the right price? Apple don't sell it I want to run flash etc.. HELP ME PLEASE.............∫…^∆∫√~∂^ίζ∫ƒί…
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

best to keep an eye on ebay

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLites View Post
I'm still running 10.2.8 on my 2003 Powerbook. I just replaced the hard drive myself Easy, but finding a copy of 10.5 Leopard seems to be harder. Where do I get a licensed copy for the right price?
With a 2003 Powerbook you should be ok...but just in case...double check that it has at least an 867mhz cpu (the minimum official cpu speed for OS 10.5).

Like "louishen" mentioned...keep your eyes on e-Bay. Here in the US OS 10.5 sells for around $100 on e-Bay...not 100% sure on UK prices for OS 10.5. Also...Apple here in the US does still sell OS 10.5 (only via their "800" number)...for $129.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SteveLites

I bought one on ebay but it refused to load.
It must have been used on another machine????
I'm now looking at new un-opened boxes with license.
I'm shocked that Apple don't do the last OSX that works on my powerbook.
I paid them £2600 towards their future....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You have to get the full retail install version of Leopard if, as Nick stated, your processor is faster than 867MHz. The silver/grey discs are extremely model specific. And the money you spent on Apple's future has no doubt passed. PowerPC machines have had their day alas and we have all been in that situation of upgrading to Intel.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SteveLites

Noooooooo. My powerbook G4 is very happy and as long as 10.5 can keep Flash and Mozzilla working for another 10 years. I'll be very happy... Thanks Harry I'm getting new and sealed retail discs from ebay with a license!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well Steve make sure they are retail as eBay sellers do some remarkable feats of marketing. And ten years? My goodness nooooooooo as all Leopard and PPC ceases with the launch of Lion.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I bought one on ebay but it refused to load.
It must have been used on another machine????
Not quite right. It's not like Windows where you need a serial number to "unlock" the disc. Instead, Apple made different discs for different models. If you go buy two Macs that are exactly the same, the OS discs will be interchangeable. But, one very slight difference in the machines, and that's no longer the case. Put another way, if you had a room full of identical Macs, you'd only need one gray disc to install the OS on every one of them. That would not be ethical, but it is technically possible.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Noooooooo. My powerbook G4 is very happy and as long as 10.5 can keep Flash and Mozzilla working for another 10 years. I'll be very happy...
Good luck with that...another 10 years!

Quote:
...I'm getting new and sealed retail discs from ebay with a license!!!!!!!!
There is no license to be had. You just need a full retail install disk.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I paid them £2600 towards their future....
I'm not really sure what you mean by this?? Unless you're referring to the price you paid (£2600) for this Powerbook back in 2003.

In case you didn't know...it's 8 years old now...and worth about $100-$125 US. That's about what you're going to pay for an OS 10.5 install disk.

Just thought you should know that...when throwing around big numbers (£2600)...and talking about an 8 year-old computer.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
SteveLites

I know, Technology is rapaciously destroying Gaia. When will they make machines where the parts can be inter-changed like Panzer tanks. Parts are smaller now, So why can't I get an Intel mother board for this perfectly good chassis and screen???? I thought Apple were a bunch of hippies
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I know, Technology is rapaciously destroying Gaia. When will they make machines where the parts can be inter-changed like Panzer tanks.
Actually...the parts for Panzer Tanks weren't that interchangeable. Parts from the very complex & over-engineeered Tiger Tanks of WW2 didn't fit previous models. But I understand the "gist" of what you're saying.

This is really nothing new. With Mac computers...it's really impossible to expect parts from 2011 models to fit into an 8 year-old computer housing/chassis. Especially when you're talking a laptop!!!

Quote:
Parts are smaller now, So why can't I get an Intel mother board for this perfectly good chassis and screen????
I hope that you're kidding! It's not a size or volume issue (smaller parts fitting into a larger space)...it's WAYYY more complex than that.

I think that it's time for a computer upgrade!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X Lion release date guesses? | Computer going to sleep question »