New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade from 10.4.2 to 10.6.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Flho

Flho is on a distinguished road

I have got a old work Mac G5 from my work as a private computer. I have formated the harddisk and installer Mac os x 10.4.2. When I did this the Mac told mé that I was downgrade the Mac from a higher Mac os x version. After I have downgraded the Mac I found a new software in the box from my employé. It is mac os x version 10.6.4. When I try to upgrade now the Mac tells mé 'you Can not use the program 'install Mac os x' with this version of Mac os x' I have aldo tryed to start up pushing C without any luck. Please tell mé how to upgrade. Both discs are Grey. I am pretty new ón Mac so give a detail description thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If this is a G5 you cannot use the disc that says 10.6.4. That will only work on Mac with Intel CPUs.

If the system is booting go to the Apple menu in the far left conner and choose About this Mac and it will tell you how much memory the system has installed.

It's hard to give definitive upgrade suggestions without knowing more about the machine. Here are the basics though:

1. Boot the machine and run Software Update. This is free and will take the OS to 10.4.11.

2. Purchase a new operating system. If it has enough memory the last one the G5 can run is 10.5.8. Those are not cheap at the moment.

Do not purchase machine specific (grey) discs. You will need retail discs which I think are black.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Flho

Flho is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your answer. The Mac is a imac G5 20"/2.1/512MB/250GB/SD/AP/BT and EMC no. 2082. Is it not possible to Update this imac to version 10.6.4 ?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flho View Post
Is it not possible to Update this imac to version 10.6.4 ?
No. Only Mac's with an Intel cpu can be upgraded to OS 10.6 and beyond. iMac G5's do not have an Intel cpu (it has a "G5" cpu).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

No version of 10.6 will work on that machine. Even versions of 10.5 might be a little slow with only 512 MB of memory. Since you are interested in upgrading that Mac check out http://www.mactracker.ca/downloads/Mactracker_5.3.zip. You can locate your machine and find out all kinds of information like latest OS it will support, maximum amount of memory, and other great details.

Edit: Beat me to the punch again Nick. lol

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

Edit: Beat me to the punch again Nick. lol
Only by 10 minutes!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
If this is a G5 you cannot use the disc that says 10.6.4. That will only work on Mac with Intel CPUs.
That was pretty clear, in Post #2

Finding a disc in a box never works, unless that "box" came from a retail store or catalog outlet selling the current version of the software. But then, you don't find those, you buy them.
QUOTE Thanks
infiniteloop12

infiniteloop12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
That was pretty clear, in Post #2

Finding a disc in a box never works, unless that "box" came from a retail store or catalog outlet selling the current version of the software. But then, you don't find those, you buy them.
Interestingly those grey disks will work as long as they are from the same model computer. My dad's was able to wipe and rebuild his 2006 15" MBP with the grey disk that came with his 2011 15" MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

That's not always true. Being from the same model line is only part of the issue. It also depends upon whether there have been firmware changes as well. You probably could not, for example, use a 2006 disc to boot your dad's 2011 model.
While that may be obvious to you, some users buy the grey discs expecting to be able to do just that,

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD/DVD drive doesn't show in Mac but... | How do I replace ` with ~ ? »