New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

several problems with my imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hikeshirandalph

hikeshirandalph is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm new to mac-forums, I hope you can help me.

My imac has been presenting many problems from some time ago, first of all, it works extremely slow most of the time, for any action or to open any program (I have to see constantly that spinning wheel cursor).

Safari also presents problems, when I watch a clip at any site, the video (not the sound) freezes intermittently, I tried with firefox and the video works fine.

Today a new problem has appeared, when I open a folder with several JPEG images, the icons that are shown normally while the thumbnail loads look weird, as you can see in this screenshot:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2rfx4p4.jpg

What do you think it's wrong with my imac? Do I have to format it? or it might be a hardware problem?

Thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Download the free maintenance and clean up tool OnyX. Read the help file and let it run in auto mode.
QUOTE Thanks
twitchymike@mac

twitchymike@mac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb

I'd start by checking your boot disk. If you can use any browser at all, google SMART Utility and download it. Just open the app, and if you see any red things in there, there's your trouble.

If you're reading this, you have a working machine...

Disks wear out. You may have to replace that
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

In addition, you can also try Applejack. If all else fails, as long as you have the original discs, I see nothing wrong if you have to format (a clean install) your machine. I do it on occasion, and it is time consuming yes, but it can be worth it. Make sure you have everything backed up though if you do it.

I hear people say that you should really never have to do an erase/re-install, but I don't buy that.
QUOTE Thanks
hikeshirandalph

hikeshirandalph is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your help! I guess I'll try formatting it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie needs help with remote updating | Need help doing this to my desktop; »