New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Black/Blue Screen Before login

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Niebr

Niebr is on a distinguished road

I have a iMac G5. 2.0Ghz, that i bought from a friend, well bout 5 months after i got it, another frined of mine was messing with it, and had a nuch of apps up that made it freeze, so i shut it off by holding the power button and turned it back on, now i get a black screen, i did a PRAM reset, and then got a blue screen.

I have tried reinstalling, no luck, I can boot into safe mode and single user mode. I dont know how to open this to check the capacitors. so any help there would be great.

I am hoping its not the logic board or this thing is going to make a nice good will donation.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It sounds like drive corruption problem rather than something wrong with the hardware. That is not to say it could also be a hardware problem. When you powered off the machine it may have caused corruption to the hard drive and that's preventing you from booting in normal mode. Since you can boot in safe mode, I suspect that's the problem.

Do you have the original install media that came with the machine when it was new? Did your friend include those disks when he sold you the G5? If you have the disk, boot with it and use Disk Utility to do a verify and repair of the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Make finder locate network computers? | HELP!!! Ran SU Macbook Won't Power On »