New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook G4 won't bootup after running CleanMyMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kccolorado

kccolorado is on a distinguished road

I ran CleanMyMac because my computer was slow and now when I turn it on it stays on the Apple and spins. I have no idea what to do and I am guessing I have lost everything. Please help, I know nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

CleanMyMac is held in VERY LOW REGARD here. There is simply no telling what it has done to your system. I would simply reinstall OS X from scratch. To avoid losing your "stuff", use the "Upgrade" option when installing if possible. Do not use the "Erase and Install" option and avoid the "Archive" option unless nothing else works. At least with the Archive option, you can manually retrieve files if need be, but you do need a LOT of extra space to accommodate this option.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
kccolorado

Thank you, but I guess I'll need someone here to do that for me as I really have no clue where to start.
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Next time, IMO, if you want to clean out your Mac, the two programs that I have safely used is OnyX and AppleJack. If I were you, other than Disk Utility which comes with your OS, I would stay away from all others. Now, that's not saying that OnyX or AppleJack cannot bork your OS, but the likelihood is a lot less.
QUOTE Thanks
kccolorado

I guess hindsight is better than no sight at all. But I am still without my Mac and have no clue how to get beyond the apple and the spin.
I don't mind starting over -- Begin the Beguine.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccolorado View Post
I guess hindsight is better than no sight at all. But I am still without my Mac and have no clue how to get beyond the apple and the spin.
I don't mind starting over -- Begin the Beguine.
Again… you need to reinstall OS X. Don't know how? Let me google that for you

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
kccolorado

Unfortunately, I don't have the software to do that. I recently moved and lost a great deal of my stuff due to someone's incompetence. So, now I have to purchase it all over again?
Yes, I realize my ignorance regarding computers, but that is why I am on this site asking elementary questions. Snide remarks not needed.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Not snide remark but you do need the system install disc of whatever your machine is running, probably Tiger OS X.4 and those discs will set you back about $100.00. If you go this way make sure you purchase the full retail install DVD which is black and not a silver/grey system disc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccolorado View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have the software to do that. I recently moved and lost a great deal of my stuff due to someone's incompetence. So, now I have to purchase it all over again?
Yes, I realize my ignorance regarding computers, but that is why I am on this site asking elementary questions. Snide remarks not needed.
I'm not being snide. I'm showing you how to help yourself, and in a more timely manner. We can't sit here and walk you through everything step by step, and with resources far more readily available to you that would be better at it, it'd be silly to do so for something so basic, even if you are new at this.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Blu

Blu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.6.7

I had Clean My Mac on my last Mac, an iBook G4, and it didn't ever give me any problems or the friends of mine that used it. I guess we were lucky cause from the posts on here, it's the worst app to use for maintenance lol. I have a MacBook Pro now and even tho I haven't done much with it yet, after reading the comments on here, I got Onyx for in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
storyer

storyer is on a distinguished road

Greetings guys,

Thank you for your feedback about CleanMyMac, we do appreciate that.

We will also be glad to help you resolve all the issues you've faced.

Dear kccolorado that's a pity that after the cleaning process your computer stopped to boot. From my side I'd like to assure you that we are testing CleanMyMac app on different systems before releasing, and making sure that the problem like this will not appear. Moreover, CleanMyMac does not actually work with any files that are related to the bootability of Mac OS, so such requests usually end up being a coincidence.

Have you tried to boot your Mac in Safe Mode, does it work? (you should hold the Shift button while booting).

Vladimir,
MacPaw Customer Support
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Steer clear of Ukraine software dealers!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jagardn

jagardn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I had Clean My Mac on my last Mac, an iBook G4, and it didn't ever give me any problems or the friends of mine that used it. I guess we were lucky cause from the posts on here, it's the worst app to use for maintenance lol. I have a MacBook Pro now and even tho I haven't done much with it yet, after reading the comments on here, I got Onyx for in the future.
I'd Install AppleJack also, Onyx is only good if you can boot to the desktop, but AppleJack can be run from single user mode.
QUOTE Thanks
Blu

Blu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.6.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
I'd Install AppleJack also, Onyx is only good if you can boot to the desktop, but AppleJack can be run from single user mode.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion brings external display to show stuff crappy | Can I add addresses via terminal? »