New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need Help!!! Any suggestions would be great!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

N2Mac

N2Mac is on a distinguished road

I posted on this forum a while back with some issues. Long story short, I locked myself out of my computer because for some reason I got curious and I'm pretty sure I changed the administrative user name or password on my account. Then when I went to boot my Mac up I couldn't get past the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel. At the suggestion of someone on here I followed the directions on

Forgot Mac Password? How to Reset Your Mac Password (with or without CD)

And I finally bypassed the spinning grey wheel and reached the screen (as if I just opened my Mac for the first time) where it asks you to select your wireless service. Once I enter the information in I get the "configuring your computer" message with a spinning wheel that never stops and goes on forever... Stopping me from getting back into my computer

I have already performed the CMD+S command upon booting then typing the fsck -fy command and pressed enter. Initially it did several repairs and now when I boot doing the same commands it states "The volume appears to be OK." and then it says "***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****" and then ":/ root#" for the last text.

Does anyone have any information on how to get around this? I'd GREATLY appreciate it!! There isn't an apple store near me unfortunately to take it to a genius bar at apple.

The stats of the computer I'm using is a...

15inch MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB/256MB VRAM/120GB 5400rpm (introduced in October 2006)

Currently running Leopard

If anyone has any thoughts or idea's I'd greatly appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You may have to run that command several times before it fixes everything. It is not necessary to reboot between each pass. When the system says the volume appears to be OK try typing "reboot" at the prompt (without quotes) and press Return.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
N2Mac

Thanks for the quick reply Slydude, I have tried this command a total of around 15 times before and actually I do type in reboot after the system finishes. But after I boot and go through the welcome video and screens. The same thing keeps happening when I select my wireless service. After I enter the password the wheel spins followed by the configuring your computer message. Then the wheel stops and then I'm stuck and if I move my cursor it changes to the rainbow ball and I'm stuck on that forever. Until I hold my power button down and force restart it and try the same things all over again. Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sounds like you changed your home folder name.

So, at this point, you can actually boot up and get to the desktop, everything is working except when you attempt to connect to wifi?

If that is during the initial setup, bypass it (hit cancel, later, or whatever option is there) to get to the desktop.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
N2Mac

Exactly! I can get past everything (booting as normal) until the "Select a Wirless Service" screen.

I can't click a cancel button (if I click continue without selecting a network it prompts me to go back and leaves me on that screen) if I try and click the "Different Network Setup"

I come to the screen that says "How Do You Connect?"

I can either select.

AirPort wireless
Cable modem
DSL modem
Local network (Ethernet)
My computer does not connect to the internet

After clicking continue on any of these options, (I think I've tried them all by this point) nothing happens after it's selected... And then after a while ( usually if i move my cursor) I get the rainbow beach ball that drags on forever as well just like the "Select a Wireless Network" screen before.

How on earth do I get around this?!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Run Applescript when I copy to clipboard? | First Post - My Back Up plan - your verdict and thoughts please »