New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Reinstalling Mac OS X - NO Idea where to start?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheDarkCalling

TheDarkCalling is on a distinguished road

Okay so I'm trying to reinstall my MacBook Pro, here are the basic specs if anybody needs them:

MacBook Pro OS X
Version: 10.6.7
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Any else, ask.

The whole thing has been running slow, and I'm not sure what that is in relation to. Either way, I want to reinstall the OS.
I installed bootcamp ages ago, but I was never able to get rid of it normally. I formatted it to something and erased it and now it's gone, not shown anywhere, nor on start up when i hit the 'alt' key, so I'm hoping that's good.

Now, when I insert the disk and try to install it while the whole laptop is running, it says 'Mac cannot be installed on this computer', i've searched for answers and a lot of them have said to boot the cd from start and wipe it clean. While I do this, It stays on the white apple screen when i press the 'C' key, and it does not move. To be sure it's not the C key, I hit 'alt' and two choices come up. Mactintosh HD and the CD i'm using. I enter the CD, and same result.

I have verified disk perimissions, repaired them, and all was fine. I have had all externalities disconnected from my MacBook, even the powercord.

I have also reste PRAM settings 4-5 times. No luck.

A few have said for me to wipe my HD clean using Disk Utility, and just do Erase. This cannot be done, the areas are greyed out, and the only option for erase, is 'Erase free space.' The Mac HD is formatted as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled) I cannot do any changes to it.

I have tried to erase the Main HD which is titled '500.11 GB TOSHIBA MK5055GSXF Media' again, no luck.

Can anybody help me reinstall my mac please?!

Thanks in advance,
Nick
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1. You need the disc that came with your Mac, not the one that came with another Mac. Those discs are system type specific.

2. No, you can't erase the drive while you're booted up into the OS. You're asking it to delete itself. To do that you need to boot from the disc. However, wouldn't suggest you do that with someone else's disc, since it's not going to install even after you erase it.

3. A clean install is rarely required on a Mac. It would be better to troubleshoot your issue. What is your issue? Just running slow? How much free space do you have on the drive? Have you run a utility like Onyx to do a little house cleaning? Have you reset your browsers?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

If you want to do and erase/re-install, try this. Put the Disk in that came with the Mac while the machine is on. Go to the Apple Logo on the top left, click on it, and then on System Preferences. Then click on "Startup Disk."

See if the Disk that you inserted shows up in the window as a choice. If it does, highlight it, then click on Restart. After the machine has restarted, click on Utilities, then Disk Utility, then it should allow you to erase the Disk. Then re-install.
QUOTE Thanks
TheDarkCalling

Yeah I'm just trying to get a clean reinstall.

The disk I'm using, does not work. Everytime I boot from the CD, or I believe I do anyway, *Using cd as startup disk* it loads for hours and hours on end and no result?
No Utilities show up, no options, nothing?!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Sounds like your optical drive is faulty. This is a big problem with laptops and iMacs generally.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCalling View Post
Yeah I'm just trying to get a clean reinstall.

The disk I'm using, does not work. Everytime I boot from the CD, or I believe I do anyway, *Using cd as startup disk* it loads for hours and hours on end and no result?
No Utilities show up, no options, nothing?!
As bobtomay said, a reinstall is rarely - if ever - required on a UNIX-based system. It's not like Windows where it will build up crud or suffer registry rot. Before you do anything, I'd recommend having a look at this article:

Mac-Forums Blog Mac Hardware Basic Mac Troubleshooting

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TheDarkCalling

Okay so I just had a look at my disk utility for the nth time now..and only now I see on my harddrive, 500.11 GB TOSHIBA MK5055GSXF Media - my S.M.A.R.T Status is failing? What does this mean? Could it be a reason why my Mac is running unbelievably slow?
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

It sounds like you have a pretty new MBP.....Did you purchased the Apple Care Protection Plan? Either way, even if you didn't, if your MBP is still under Hardware Warranty, and the Optical Drive may have gone bad, I would contact Apple and tell them what's going on. If they feel the Drive is bad, they should replace it. If that is the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
TheDarkCalling

Alright, thank you for the help guys, much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

When you talk to them mention the message that you got about the S.M.A.R.T status failing. That is an indication that the hard drive may be going bad.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

SmartStatus never fibs so be ready for a replacement hard drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.5.6 computer starts then shuts down | Question About Disk Utility/Repairing Permissions »