New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Dock always in front

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I didn't find anything when I searched.

Until recently, on my son's 2005 EMac (Leopard), the dock would hide behind an open full-screen window, such as iDVD or games.

Apparently, he clicked on something, and now it stays at the front whenever anything is on.

I'm aware of auto-hide, and we're using that, for now, but it's not exactly convenient, either. How can we get dock to hide behind full-screen windows again?

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I've never seen any setting on Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard on either of the 2 Macs I own that allows the dock to be hidden behind a window without using the Auto Hide function.

If you find one, I'd certainly be interested in knowing how you do it.

Sure seems as that would be a major inconvenience though, as to get to anything in the dock at that point, you would have to minimize or move your open window(s) to see the dock.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Well, I know that it was hiding behind the open window before, but only full screen. It just stopped doing it all of a sudden.

Really wasn't an issue, as it was only during DVDs and full screen games, when I wouldn't be saving anything to the dock in the first place.

That's really the main issue, because my son watches movies and doesn't want the doc sitting in front of the movie that is playing.

So, right now we're auto-hiding, but then in interferes with the bottom menus. :/

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The Automatically Hide/Show Dock in System Preferences is about your best option. Show him where to find it and turn off/on.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, I was mis-interpreting - my fault.

Yep, should hide when using DVD Player or other apps capable of full screen mode.

I'll take a guess here.
Check in System Preferences - Other for an icon called Application Enhancer. Turn it off.
Or even better uninstall it - with it's uninstall option - not just drag it to the trash.
Whatever application he installed that added it, may no longer function properly or at all.
But that thing messes with systems big time.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

We're going to see a lot of this when Lion goes gold since apps can be run full screen.... just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I had an instance last night where I was watching streaming videos full screen and plugged in my iPhone to sync. iTunes launched, as it's supposed to, but the menubar and dock overlapped my full screen video. I don't know if this is similar to what you're seeing, but once I tabbed out of Safari and back in, the full screen came back and the dock and menubar both went back to the background.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

Thank you guys, very much! I gotta do some tweaking on his computer tomorrow evening, and I'll look into your suggestions.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Did you ever figure this one out? Curious here...

QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

Sorry. Just checked this now (blocked at work). No, I haven't figured it out, yet. The program, application enhancer, didn't show up in my preferences. I need to install a wifi adapter into my son's emac sometime soon (keep putting it off), so I'm kind of hoping that after I shut the computer down completely, rather than putting it to sleep it will correct itself. Otherwise, I have no ideas, thus far.

QUOTE Thanks
krafty

krafty is on a distinguished road

killall Dock in terminal
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Same issue as Gstork | Does one need more than 2GB RAM for smooth running with the forthcoming OS? »