New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Connect timeout on WEP connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hyenas

hyenas is on a distinguished road

Running: MacBook Pro 10.6.7 (also had this problem on 10.6.6 and updated hoping to fix it)

First off let me begin by saying, I know WEP encryption is terrible, it's not my decision. I'm the only one having a problem connecting and it just started this morning. When I got to work I turned on airport and it didn't automatically connect to my preferred network, I selected it, and put in the password. It spins for a while then says "Connection timeout" HOWEVER, if I try to connect with network connection while it's spinning it will say "connected to blah blah" and in the three seconds it's deciding I AM able to load web pages.

I've been looking around the internet and it seems that there are a lot of different ways people try to handle this, but I'm not certain we're having the same issues.

I've deactivated ethernet and reset the PRAM. I have no idea what else to do. Help? Because this is terrible, and means I have to use a windows desktop at work.

B
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Do you have access to the Wifi source? Usually pressing the connect button on the wifi box does the trick.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Open your Network System Preference, and under the Location pulldown, select Edit Locations. Create a new Location and apply. Click the gear icon at the bottom left of the Network pane and Set Service Order. Make sure Ethernet and Airport have a higher priority than Bluetooth and Firewire (if applicable). Apply again. Attempt to connect to WiFi again.
QUOTE Thanks
hyenas

hyenas is on a distinguished road

I tried both suggestions and neither worked. Now it seems to be more than just a mac problem since my co-worker can't connect either, while running windows. It's probably something to do with the base, now that it's not just me I can plead to IT. Thanks for the assist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with AFP | Creating your own dashboard widgets »