Password protecting an external HD
    How do I put a simple password protection on an external HD? Furthermore, how do I make it so that only other users have to input the password?
    The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
    -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    See this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/oth...d-drive-2.html and/or TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    Basically you are looking at encryption, and part 2 of your question I believe would be 'not possible.'

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    If you were to create an encrypted DMG on your external and mount it with the password that would be saved to your keychain so would remember it from then on.

That would give you an encrypted drive and only require other users to enter a password.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    There you go

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    If you're looking for a pure hardware solution, consider looking at Apricorn drives. I have a 500gb portable drive, with AES-256 encryption and a numeric keypad to enter a pin number. The drive won't mount unless the pin is entered and even if the drive is removed from the enclosure, it's encrypted, so data recovery is virtually impossible. I'm using mine for Time Machine backups, and I love it. I work in an environment that requires full disk encryption of both internal and external drives, and it's been one of the easiest drives to work with that we've tried. No additional driver software required. The 640gb (current base model I believe) is around $130.

Cool
    Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Unfortunately True Crypt refused to run on my mac for some reason... I have 10.6.7 if that helps.

@evenstranger Your job sounds jamesbondy.
    The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
    -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry

TrueCrypt works just fine on my 10.6.6 system, but I can believe it doesnt work on 10.6.7 yet.
    2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp

Thread Information