New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - A newbie's frustration - ARGH! Please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sproles

OK - I was AT FIRST very impressed with the g4iMac I bought (yes, used - but in mint condition.) I then got this wild hair to buy the new OS-X.4 and installed it. Well, the issues started after I installed it and I am not sure what is causing the problems. Let me give youa brief history and see if you can help me.

>unpacked machine
>did the Move2Mac (fairly flawlessly) which moved about 2500 songs from iTunes and about 2800 pics plus a few other small docs
>Went in and realized that the original owners account still had his name in it - added a new user accout with our name on it.
>restared machine
>migrated the music into iTunes, recreated the playlists, etc and moved pics to ipic - created about 40 foldes with the appropriate pic sin them
>installed os-X, restared comp
>iTunes came on and music was not showing up - it was defaulting to the orginal user account's music folder
>tried to redirect the iTunes to MY music folder - no luck
>copied all music to the old user account - duplicated EVERY song, ARGH!
installed Widgets, customized
>installed windows for mac ($19.95 through my company - full versions of them (word, excel, entourage, etc) and then restarted computer.
>music is gone again and widgets are not customized anymore
>Somewhere in all this junk, the music was "lost again" and I tried to coipy it over to iTunes agian and I ended up receiving a message about "startup" memory running low.
>shutdown and restarted - read some forums and realized that all the music had been really duplicated on the hard drive
>went thtrough last night and deleted all the duplicate songs AGAIN (second time mind you) and them imported the pics into iPics again.
>Had to update the widgets again
>Woke up this morning and realized that I now have FOUR $%&^# copies of EACH picture in iPics and the machine is runnign VERy slow!

HELP HELP HELP!

My wife is about to strangle me b/c I have been living in front of this stupid machine trying to get it to run easily. I bought it for her b/c "macs are so easy" and stable -not been my experience. What I would LOVE is for someone to come into my machine (we call it "RASsing" in at work) and make the required chanegs to make this thing right. I know that the mac can do all this stuff easily, but I have been a Windows man for years and run Windows at work. Help me make some siple changes/adjustments and get this thing cleaned up, smoothed out and NON-duplicated!

Thank you for all of your help. PLEASE remember that I am mac-ignant! Talkto me as if I was your grandfather and you were having to walk him through things step by step - I am not that slow, but would rather have TOO much info than enough to screw myself into the ground further. "Taxonomy" as we call it at work (Mac HD>Applicatons>OS-X, etc) is very helpful

Sproles
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I would put in the OS X CD, re-install it completely, then start from scratch.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproles
OK - I was AT FIRST very impressed with the g4iMac I bought (yes, used - but in mint condition.) I then got this wild hair to buy the new OS-X.4 and installed it. Well, the issues started after I installed it and I am not sure what is causing the problems. Let me give youa brief history and see if you can help me.

>unpacked machine
>did the Move2Mac (fairly flawlessly) which moved about 2500 songs from iTunes and about 2800 pics plus a few other small docs
>Went in and realized that the original owners account still had his name in it - added a new user accout with our name on it.
>restared machine
>migrated the music into iTunes, recreated the playlists, etc and moved pics to ipic - created about 40 foldes with the appropriate pic sin them
>installed os-X, restared comp
>iTunes came on and music was not showing up - it was defaulting to the orginal user account's music folder
>tried to redirect the iTunes to MY music folder - no luck
>copied all music to the old user account - duplicated EVERY song, ARGH!
installed Widgets, customized
>installed windows for mac ($19.95 through my company - full versions of them (word, excel, entourage, etc) and then restarted computer.
>music is gone again and widgets are not customized anymore
>Somewhere in all this junk, the music was "lost again" and I tried to coipy it over to iTunes agian and I ended up receiving a message about "startup" memory running low.
>shutdown and restarted - read some forums and realized that all the music had been really duplicated on the hard drive
>went thtrough last night and deleted all the duplicate songs AGAIN (second time mind you) and them imported the pics into iPics again.
>Had to update the widgets again
>Woke up this morning and realized that I now have FOUR $%&^# copies of EACH picture in iPics and the machine is runnign VERy slow!

HELP HELP HELP!

My wife is about to strangle me b/c I have been living in front of this stupid machine trying to get it to run easily. I bought it for her b/c "macs are so easy" and stable -not been my experience. What I would LOVE is for someone to come into my machine (we call it "RASsing" in at work) and make the required chanegs to make this thing right. I know that the mac can do all this stuff easily, but I have been a Windows man for years and run Windows at work. Help me make some siple changes/adjustments and get this thing cleaned up, smoothed out and NON-duplicated!

Thank you for all of your help. PLEASE remember that I am mac-ignant! Talkto me as if I was your grandfather and you were having to walk him through things step by step - I am not that slow, but would rather have TOO much info than enough to screw myself into the ground further. "Taxonomy" as we call it at work (Mac HD>Applicatons>OS-X, etc) is very helpful

Sproles
Seems like the first guy didn't clean install. I would reformat the HD and do a fresh install of Tiger. Then install your programs and music and what not. Backup stuff you may have put on there or that came pre-installed that you don't have discs for. Other than that I can't really tell you much more, besides maybe Repairing Permissions in the Disk Utility and zapping the Pram. But do that only after you see if the machine is still running a bit slow after you re-install Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
Sproles

OK - IF I do the reinstall...how is the easiet way to backup on the machine? I can burn DVDs (came with a burner) - will that work? Is it as easy as drag and drop on a burner icon? Please advise.

I would LOVE to have other suggestions and options....please!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

What stuff do you have on the machine that you need to backup? Burning stuff to CD or DVD would probably be the easiest way.
QUOTE Thanks
Sproles

Mainly music and pics - everyting else I could live w/o or have the cds for. WHAT exactly would I have to re-install? OS-X, MacWindows...what else?
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

You would have to re-install everything you want to use, The OS, Office for Mac, and any other software you want, all your music, photo's and documents.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Yeah, copy all data (songs etc.) to CD and you'll have to reinstall all applications. A clean format and fresh OS install should have you back up and running with no problem.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
new mac guy

how much ram do you have.Tiger needs a minimum 256 mb.
QUOTE Thanks
Sproles

I have 256 and I have done the "reload" and it is working MUCh better now. Everything is where it is supposed to be and it seems to have erased everything from the previous owner. I lot some music from the transfer b/c of a loading error on the DVDs that I burned, but almost 90+% of the data that I needed made it fine. ALL the pics made it OK - thankfully - my wife would have killed me if I had lost any pics of the kids. Music is no big deal I guess.

The 256mb issue MAY explain why the machine is running somewhat slowly when I start it up from resting for a few hours. Any suggestions on how to MAXIMIZE the speed?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backup Copy Question | Slow »